Eleven. - The Truth

Without a doubt, Dillan quitting must have something to do with his dad. Mr. Wetherill was the one who forced Dillan to work at the café, he could force Dillan to quit. I was sure if Dillan could make that decision himself, he would, long ago. But it baffled me when Dillan looked so down the whole day. I thought he would continue being his old self, charming his way into customers’ hearts. Considering how he would be free soon, he ought to make the best of his last working hours, right? If I were given a choice between solving Dillan’s thoughts and a Rubik’s Cube, I’d definitely choose the latter in a snap. No doubt. The boy’s mind was so intricate, it’d be a pain to the brain and soul to unravel.

                “Bye, Dillan. We’ll miss you,” Kayla gave Dillan a hug before joining Alex and Grace exiting the front door. All three of them gave Dillan proper goodbyes since he wouldn’t be coming to work anymore tomorrow. Turns out Mr. Gardner left the café earlier today to read Dillan’s resignation e-mail. His laptop was jammed, but he wanted to read the e-mail right away, so he went home to his computer. I didn’t think anybody else saw it, but Mr. Gardner was smiling from ear to ear when he arrived back at the café. Of course he was happy, Dillan was a pain in the butt for him since the first day he started “working” there.

                When the three of them walked far enough and their waves could no longer be seen, Dillan stopped swinging his hand and pulled out a chair from the nearest table. He laid his head on the table, burying it in his arms. I pulled a seat and sat in front of him. Admittedly, I was feeling neither sad nor happy. I was too curious to think of anything else right now. “Was it my fault?” I asked.

                “What?” he brought his head back up, leaning his back against the chair. His eyes pierced into mine.

                “Your dad wanting you to quit. It was my fault, wasn’t it?”

                “No, it was mine,” he replied nonchalantly.

                “What did you do?” I asked.

                “We’re not that close.”

                Fair enough, Wetherill. We were quiet for a while, just staring at each other. After seven long seconds, I had to turn my head away. I couldn’t take his gaze any longer. Somehow it made me feel weak inside and I didn’t like it. “How ‘bout last night at your parents’ house? Why did you lie for me? I think I deserve to know that,” I asked, slowly bringing back my head facing forward.

                “I practically saved your life. You don’t demand answers from me,” he snapped.

                Oh, he was getting on my nerves. “You treated me like crap and I almost got sued by your dad for your childish act and suddenly, you miraculously made up a lie to help me. I’m afraid I disagree; I do deserve some answers, Dillan,” I snapped back. There was not a fibre in my body that could understand his unreasonable ways. Never in my life had I met someone so impossible to understand. And right now, he was letting that side of him shine like a spotlight. He was hanging his head, playing with his fingers and being completely ignorant of me. I sighed and added, “If a person you disliked very much suddenly decided to help you, wouldn’t you like to know why?”

                “Sorry, no such experience. Can’t help you there.”

                “Have you ever thought about how I would feel about this?” I asked, sinking in my chair when I realized how I echoed his statement before. Have you ever thought about how I feel? He said that day, making me consider things I normally wouldn’t. Like when I wanted something to go my way, I seldom to never regard the other party’s feelings. I only cared about my own. Shockingly, Dillan was the one who made me understand I should think about others. Although I was still a little selfish, but I was getting better.