Nineteen. - Secret

I thought I would’ve dismissed the matter at hand, thinking it was none of my business. Even if he were to fall off Niagara Falls, I thought I’d sweat it off. After all, there was nothing between us anymore. It’s done. We’re done. But there I was, muddling from room to room as if in a drunken state, struggling to look presentable out in public. Why did I still care? If this happened before all of this—whatever this was—will I still do? I was in a state devoid of logic and common sense. Since I was headed to the hospital, I might as well get my brain checked.

             “What happened to him?” I asked Cassandra as soon as I got into her parent’s car.

             “We don’t know,” Mrs. Nickels answered, “Mrs. Cunning called to let Cassandra know that Matt won’t be going to school today because he had to be admitted to the hospital, but she didn’t say why.”

                I looked at Cassandra with puzzlement. Of all people Matt knew, why Cassandra?

                She kept quiet.

                And that’s the way it’s been throughout the journey to the hospital—profound silence, broken by occasional bumps and thumps along the road. I understood for a fact whenever Mrs. Nickels is driving, the radio would be turned off. She explained to me once how she couldn’t concentrate with the radio on, so I just left it at that. But there were torrents of other questions I’ve been meaning to ask, all in which I think I should speak to Cassandra privately.

                                                             .~'.*.'~.

The nurse by the counter told us Matt was warded into room 416. We followed the directions she gave us and found the room.

                At first glance, I saw Matt laying on bed, reading some men’s magazine while having one of his legs, knee-down covered with a white bandage, looking like a bent sausage. The rest of the room was an immaculate white, only to be defiled by non-matching furniture and medical equipment colour-blocking in an ill-fashioned way. And while I was busy examining details of the room, Mrs. Nickels and Cassandra were sitting on either sides of the bed, asking how Matt’s been.

                I was no longer distracted by frivolous non-living objects around me, but still, I feigned an excuse to look out the window. “The view’s gorgeous from up here,” I said to no one in particular, just loud enough for everyone in the room to hear. No one responded, although I wasn’t expecting them to.

                Part of me wanted to be there, asking about Matt’s wellbeing, too. Another part of me couldn’t face him, not after what he’s done. Still, I let my ears eavesdrop on their conversation.

                “I was just careless, that’s all,” Matt said, after Mrs. Nickels asked him about his leg.

                “What happened?”

                “I was playing basketball with some friends and I guess I was being overly competitive that I twisted my ankle.”

                His leg got wrapped up like that over a twisted ankle? I wondered in my thoughts. As if answering my question, Matt added, “My mom has a slight case of paranoia when it comes to these things,” he rubbed his head, “I should be discharged tomorrow after the doctor’s done with some additional checkups, and let’s hope I won’t have to go around with this bandage in school.”

                “That’s a relief,” Cassandra said. “I don’t see your parents around though.”

                “Oh, they just left to buy me something to eat. They should be back soon.”