Thirteen. - Puzzled Innerself

The big oak tree outside Cassandra’s cottage-like house was as sturdy as ever. In fact, it looked bigger than I remembered it to be. A while would have been the exact inaccurate amount of time since the last I stopped by this neighbourhood, but it felt longer. The lawn was slightly overgrown, so were the shrubs that aligned the perimeter of the house. Her rabbits: Apricot, Cherry and Orange—named after her favourite fruits—were still surrounded by picket fences like the last time I’d been here. I went over to give them a pet.

                Okay, so, after a little mental calculating, I’ve found out it’s been more or less a year since the last time I stepped foot on this place. It must’ve been, considering how much change has happened around here. Cassandra and I usually hang out in malls, cafes, or at my place. Somehow it was more convenient that way, for the both of us. Apricot, Cherry and Orange had gotten so much bigger… And less approachable than before. At first I thought they’d forgotten me, but when I turned my head towards where they were running after, I was completely dumbfounded. Those little creatures were nibbling Dillan’s fingers like he was their rightful owner; each of them fighting over his love.

                “Betrayers,” I mumbled under my breath and stood up, walking towards Dillan as well, at the other side of the fence. Upon closer inspection, I saw a rose in his curved palm. No wonder the rabbits were going crazy. I crouched down beside him and a curve twitched at the corner of my lip, holding back what was supposed to be a grin. Dillan looked cute and somewhat portrayed a loving side of him, but I didn’t want to admit how sweet the sight of him with the rabbits were, not even to myself. “You’re not supposed to pick her neighbour’s roses, you know,” I seesawed my feet so that my shoulder bumped slightly onto his, assuming he stole the neighbour’s rose since there weren’t any of those flowers anywhere else around here.

                “I don’t think they’ll mind. It’s slightly withered, see?” he elevated his hand a little higher, away from the rabbits. The once-rose was half the size it used to be and completely unrecognizable. Even so, Dillan’s point was clearly brought through. The tip of the once-rose had a slightly yellowish-brown colour to it and it seemed really dry. Its coarseness was undeniable as I felt it with my fingers. Dillan lowered his hand again, letting the rabbits resume eating.

                “I knew I heard people talking,” a voice spoke behind us. Dillan and I both turned around and saw Cassandra’s older sister, Casey standing by the door with their younger sister, Camelia standing shyly behind.

                “Casey,” I stood back up and walked towards the front door, “How are you?” I gave her a hug.

                “Oh, you know, same old same old,” she said, pulling away.

                I made my way through and patted Camelia’s head lightly, then continued walking until I’ve reached the living room. Dillan followed suit.

                “I’ll go get Cassandra,” Casey said, with Camelia tailing behind.

                I sat on the three-seated sofa situated in the room, facing at a black-screened television. Dillan sat beside me like he belonged here. It still felt so unreal of how everything was happening, one thing after another. I was still in disbelief how Dillan could even be here. Maybe I was just having a hard time accepting how things were right now. It wasn’t normal for me to state this, but I really liked how we weren’t always arguing and couldn’t stand seeing each other. It felt nice.

                “Can I try the soup?” Dillan pointed at the container in between my hands. “I brought a spoon,” he took out a plastic utensil the size of his palm out from his back pocket.