Ten. - Burden Lifted... or Not?

Emphasizing on Dillan’s name every time I said it in the midst of confessing everything to Ashton, I got a little teary eyed. I didn’t know why saying out Dillan’s name required so much of me. Never had I come to realize how emotional I was with all the stuff happening until I poured my heart out to my big brother. Letting him know was different from letting Cassandra know. I was protecting my brother; I was being strong for him. For him to know that cracked me.

                “Come here, kiddo,” he pulled me in for a hug. That was when the leaking dam burst. It was all too real for me to handle. I guess I had been suppressing all these emotions inside without knowing it. The Wetherill’s limo transported me straight home and I arrived at almost 10 o’clock. By that time, Mom and Dad were already asleep, exhausted from their hectic work. It was a good thing because I could talk to Ashton and not worry about them accidentally eavesdropping, or anything like that.

                After a minute or two, I pulled away, thinking how awful I must have looked with red eyes and nostrils dripping mucus. And even though I was wearing waterproof makeup, some of them smudged on Ashton’s shirt. “Sorry,” I apologized, wiping it gently, but it wouldn’t come off. I’d have to scrub it myself to avoid questions from Mom.

                “No, I’m sorry for putting you through all this. You should’ve talked to me sooner. You know I’ll be there when you need me,” he smiled. “Lawyer Ashton, at your service,” he bowed slightly.

                I laughed a little. “No one says stuff like that,” I said, hitting his shoulder.

                “I’m someone,” he grinned in a short few seconds, replaced by a frown after. “You know, I really did punch him in the face.”

                “Then, why would he say it was an accident?” I asked, bewildered.

                “I don’t know.”

                We were out of words for a moment, thinking of the strange being named Dillan. Then, Ashton patted my shoulder and said, “Get some sleep, kiddo. It’s late.”

                “You too,” I said. He got up and started exiting my bedroom. While he was closing the door, he paused and looked back at me. “Hm?” I looked at him with questioning eyes.

                “Don’t quit your job because of me,” he said very apologetically. “Good night.” With that he closed the door shut and left.

                Oh, Ashton. The thought of quitting never occupied my mind once. I was so drown in the whole being-sued thing, there was no room for anything else at that time. Now, since the burden had been lifted, Ashton’s words were starting to make sense. But I only worked at the café for three days. Three! How could I even think of quitting? I’d feel very puny if I did. I had to be stronger than this. Besides, I’m free now. I was pretty positive nothing like this would happen again. It was just another obstacle to hurdle through. There’s always a rainbow after a storm.

                Good things would happen after this, I thought to myself and allowed my legs to carry my weight to the bathroom to give myself a shower and prepare for bed.

                                                             .~'.*.'~.

While I was walking in the school corridor, I bumped into Tia, one my former friends. We had a history of friendship together, which lasted for only eight months—the shortest ever, in my book. She used to be someone I turned to and someone I could trust. Until one fine sunny day, Cassandra told me she heard Tia talking smack behind my back. Amusingly, she admitted it herself, telling me to stop acting naïve and innocent like a lost puppy. I was puzzled and I pondered for a long time what had I done wrong. After she said that, she drifted off to the more popular girls, sometimes asking me why I couldn’t be more sociable and fun like them. Eventually, I listened to Cassandra’s advice and decided I didn’t want to be friends with her anymore. I had to suffer some major gossiping for the coming few weeks, but thank goodness I had Cassandra by my side the whole time. Tia and I never really came in good terms with one another. We just went our separate ways and never minded each other’s businesses anymore.