Two. - Interview

I looked at the time ticking on the wall clock of the classroom.

                Five minutes to 3.

                But, what time will my interview start? All I remembered Cassandra saying was after school. That wasn’t very specific. I didn’t know why that thought hadn’t crossed my mind until now. Cassandra’s having her bio class now, while I was stuck with math. Guess the only choice I had was to go straight to the café as soon as the bell rang, hoping I wouldn’t be late.

                The nerves were starting to kick in. I was fidgeting on my blouse, skirt, stationary—anything I could get my hands on. I started thinking of possible questions they would ask me, answering them as smoothly as I could in my head, mouthing along the answers so I wouldn’t get tongue tied during the actual interview.

                One more minute to go.

                The agonizing sixty seconds passed by so slowly. I couldn’t stop staring at the wall clock.

                Three. Two. One.

                The bell went off.

                I quickly shoved everything on my table into my bag, running towards the school gate as I slung my bag onto my shoulder.

                Upon reaching the school gate, I was met with a surprise. I looked at the person closely, in case my eyes were deceiving me. They weren’t. Because there he was, taking his helmet off and flashing a smile at me. His dorky glasses were always a little below his eye level, just like how I remembered them to be. I couldn’t believe he was really here. “Need a ride?” he asked.

                “Ashton!” I was running toward him now, no longer able to contain my excitement. “Mom didn’t tell me you’re coming back today!” I said, giving him a hug. It had been a long time since I’ve given my big brother, Ashton a hug. He went to study abroad two years ago and he was only able to come back during long term breaks. This time around should be another one of those breaks, I just didn’t know until now.

                “I wanted to give you a surprise,” he said.

                I pulled away, still having a goofy grin on my face, letting the moment of happiness sink in for a second.

Okay, happiness over. “Can you drive me to a café nearby?” I asked. “I have an interview to go to.” Without waiting for his answer, I buckled up my helmet and hopped onto the motorcycle, holding Ashton by the waist.

                “Hang on,” he said and stepped on the gas.

                                                             .~'.*.'~.

Ashton wished me luck before dropping me off.

                When I walked into the café, the first thing I noticed was the increase in number of people. The customers were doubled, maybe tripled, since yesterday. Perhaps this was they called rush hour. Feeling lost, I asked the waiter nearest to me where the interview was taking place. The waiter had dirty blonde hair, light blue eyes and an olive skin. He was nice enough to show me the way to the boss’ office. “Good luck,” he said before leaving me alone.

                “Ah, Eryn. Take a seat,” the man sitting behind a table said. And I did. Nervously so. The tips of my fingers were icy cold and I could feel the sweat on my forehead soaking my bangs. I’m doing this for the dress, I reminded myself, I’m doing this for the dress.