Eighteen. - Done

Imagine a tornado, or a whirlpool made up of emotions, negative ones. Now imagine a time bomb being tossed inside the concoction. That’s exactly what happened to my head after Tia told her unwelcomed tale. When will the bomb go out? There couldn’t be a definite answer. Regardless, time is still ticking.

                “Do you want to tell me what’s bothering you?”

                I looked up from my current state of wiping the counters and saw Kayla right in front of me, resting her elbow and flinging her wet cloth on one hand. She’d just finished wiping the tables clean and now I guess she’s leaving the rest of the after-shift job to Grace and Alex while she plays detective. I found it tad irritating, yes, but I get it, she was just being a concerned friend.

                “It’s nothing,” I answered her and resumed wiping the counter, trying to push her elbows away with my cloth. They wouldn’t budge though.

                “Are you sure?” she asked, with her elbows still planted on the counter, clearly with no intention of lifting them away.

                I stopped what I was doing and shot her a pleading look. Please don’t ask.

                “You know, I’ve had my fair share of experiences with boys.”

                I let out a laugh. “How are you so sure it’s about boys?”

                “I just have a knack in sensing out problems,” she smiled.

                “It’s fine, really,” I persisted, knowing if I replay everything back again, there would be no telling if I’d be able to hold back my tears. Besides, I wasn’t used to telling my problems to other people other than Cassandra.

                “Oh, alright. I won’t push you if you don’t feel like telling,” she finally gave up and patted my back, leaving me to resume cleaning up the place.

                As usual, the routine was when everyone’s done with cleaning, Kayla, Alex and Grace would be the first ones to leave while I stay in the cafe until Ashton arrives. I brought a rubber ball today, which was quite random, I’d be first to admit that, but at least I wouldn’t be so bored that I’d wish Dillan was here with me. Now that that’s history, I really shouldn’t be hoping for the impossible.

                Just when I thought I could have a peace of mind, Mr. Gardner came out and sat on the floor, opposite of me, leaning against the wall where I was throwing my ball at. I stopped the second his presence came to sight.

                “What is it?” I asked because it was rare for him to leave his office at this time, not to mention casually sitting here like we’re close friends.

                “There is an important issue I just remembered and I want to talk about it with you.”

                “Go ahead.”

                “You can continue with what you’re doing though, I’m fine with it.”

                Why is he stalling? I thought, but my hand still obeyed his words, continuing to throw the ball at the wall. It was strange he didn’t find it annoying. I know I would.

                “Remember how we talked about our deal during your interview?”

                The deal. It felt so long ago I barely think about it anymore. But of course, how could I forget? “Yes.”