Twenty-Five. - Positive

Upon arriving school, I stopped at the school gate. In front of me, the front entrance had a big banner hung above it that said:

                                                             PROM NIGHT

                                                             Friday 7 p.m.

It was embellished with a somewhat Victorian-era design that was so over-the-top and in your face that you couldn't miss it even if you tried. The prom committee certainly had outdone themselves this time. Flyers were being handed out as I entered school property and I noticed some of them were already being thrown on the floor. Apparently littering was the “it thing” to do now. I rolled my eyes when I caught a jock scrunching a flyer into a ball and throwing it into a bin, missed and just left it there and walked away. I hope karma gets back at you, I thought. While I was too concentrated at the heedless sight, I accidentally bumped into one of the prom committees that was handing out the flyers. My recklessness sent the flyers in the air like confetti. Immediately, I could feel every pair of eyes in the parking lot falling on us. Every. Single. Pair.

            “I’m so sorry,” I said while hurriedly collecting all the flyers. We both stood up at the same time and I handed her my part of the flyers. When I looked at her face the second time, I realized she was the girl that was in my History class (or was it Math?) and I remembered her name to be Macy. She normally sat by the wall and I hardly knew anything about her. That somehow made me feel guiltier than before. She probably didn’t like attention, let alone unwanted ones like this. To add insult into injury, Tia and Ruby came walking from behind Macy. Her majesties probably wanted to personally send their blessings… through laughing at our faces.

            “What a coincidence, it’s Eryn and the nerd. What’s your name again?” Tia turned to Macy.

            “Macy—”

            “I knew that,” she cut her off and feigned a plastic smile, “Normally I wouldn’t approach people like you two, but I have to thank you guys for making my day.”

            “You’re welcome,” I said, “We’re gonna leave now.”

            I had only taken one step when Tia stopped me by saying, “How’s Dillan?”

            “None of your business?”

            “Well, by the looks of it, you haven’t asked him yet, have you?”

            I knew she was referring to asking why Dillan never had a girlfriend before. Frankly, that question had been long gone at the back of my head, slowly vanishing into thin air, of course until Tia had to bring it up again. She was either insinuating that Dillan was a player and wanted me to stay away from him, so she could have him all to herself, or she wanted me to think Dillan was in love with her, so I would back off. I would put my bet on the latter, but then again Tia had always been good with mind games. With all that’s happened between me and Dillan, I would’ve belittled myself if I thought I didn’t have any significance in his life. He practically confessed to me that night at the café. Granted, we still hadn’t talked about where our relationship stood after that, but it seemed to me it was taking a positive turn. I had to tell myself Tia wanted me to have doubts in my head, and I couldn’t let her win. The only thing I knew about Tia and Dillan was that they had known each other for a long time, and in that period of time Dillan would’ve pursued her if he liked her so much, right? Why would she imply Dillan was saving himself for her?

            “I didn’t feel the need to,” I replied her.

            “Well, you should. Girls drool over him all the time, they all come and go, except for me. The least you could do is ask him why he let me stay. My guess is, when your time is up, you would go too.”