Seventeen. - Soap Opera

Important: I've proof read and added a few paragraphs to my previous chapter, so be sure to read that before reading this!

                                                         .'~.'~.'~.'~.'~.'~.'~.

It's amusing to think how one could feel so safe, secure and warm all at the same time in a cocoon made by someone else's arms. A simple embrace was capable of taking the pain away, even just for a short while. Being held by someone was a simple and ordinary gesture that anyone could do. But the feeling one could feel was so extraordinary, it was almost magical. Mind-blowing, even, to ponder about.  

Having myself so close to Dillan's body, I could smell the fresh after-shower scent he always had. But too soon, he pulled away. It could have been a minute or two, but it felt like only seconds. With the courage I grasped out of nowhere, I grabbed him closer to me and said, "Don't go." 

He fulfilled my wish and hung on, holding me tighter than before. "Cassandra said you needed space." 

I nodded with my head still laid on his chest.  

"But I wanted to see if you're okay," he continued while stroking my hair, "I'm willing to listen if you need a friend." 

"I'm just glad you're here," I said. And I was, truly. I didn't want to drag him into my little soap opera going on, so I saved my problems to myself. He was still part of the problem, regardless. Right now though, my past was catching up after me, pushing me to resolve it before I could move on. My feelings needed to be organized and that was something I needed to figure out on my own. But right now, I needed him as a friend and he was here for me, even after how I poorly I've treated him before. I pulled away and looked him in the eye, while still holding onto his shirt. "I'm sorry Dillan," I said what I should've said the minute he got here. 

"What for?" 

"For being a jerk," I said and started gliding through the rest of my apology, "You-were-so-nice-to-me-but-I-dismissed-you-because-I-was-so-messed-up-" 

"Shh," he put his arms around me and laid his head on top of mine, "everyone does things they don't mean sometimes." 

"You mean it?" I asked. 

"I stole your clothes once, so consider us even," he said and I could feel his jaw moving, possibly curving his lips into a smile. 

I did the same and let my head sink into his embrace.

                                                             .~'.*.'~.

Early morning in school, the lawn had crystals of dewdrops almost floating on top of every single leaflet-which was the aftermath of the rain last night. The air was misty and humid, while the sky was filled with white clouds, covering almost every inch of blue, threatening another downpour. I pulled my cardigan tighter around me and headed towards first period. 

Last night, I genuinely found it comforting with Dillan by my side. With reasons beyond me, having him around was probably the medicine I needed to help myself. He wasn't exactly the cure, but his presence made me feel a lot better inside, despite the clutter of a mind I currently possess. He just made me take in the present and forget about the past for a moment, without really doing anything. I don't know how he did that, but I was glad he had it in him. 

Recess never created a less than hectic ambience in school. The congested surrounding wherever you go was inevitable, ranging from different degrees depending on the location in school you're at. This time, instead of meeting up at the mess hall, Cassandra and I had chosen to have our lunch on the lawn, turning a blind eye at the current wet state it's in. It was better, in fact, as there wouldn't be so many ears eavesdropping on our conversation. Almost the whole student body had heard of Matt breaking up with me because of a rumour Tia made up, and because of his action, everyone thought the rumour was true, whatever it was. So discussing my problem regarding the said person in a crowd full of people wasn't exactly smart or sensible.