Twenty-Two. - Past Haunts

Guys, I've combined the first and second part of chapter 21 so you better read that before reading this. Happy reading :)

Those five simple words; sixteen letters; one sentence was capable of making me feel like I’ve been slapped across the face. Who would’ve thought Cassandra was the type of person who would go behind someone’s back—my back—and hook up with their ex? My ex? She knew about those nights where I cried myself to sleep because of Matt; she knew about the post-breakup phase I had and how much it ruined me; I told her everything and yet how could she had it in her to betray me? I trusted her. I trusted her in every way a best friend should. It never crossed my mind how easily she could bite me when I was least expecting it.

                “Eryn, say something,” Matt said worryingly.

                “What happened?” I asked in a monotonous voice and mindless state. I wasn’t sure how was I supposed to react. “Cassandra, I want you to tell me.”

                Matt scuffed his hair and let out a sigh.

                “I went to Matt’s place—”

                “When?”

                “After you told me you wanted to dye your hair blue—”

                “But you said it would look cool.”

                “I said do whatever makes you feel better.”

                “Fine, but what does that have to do with you deciding to swing by his house?”

                Matt was standing up now, occasionally pacing and stopping at random spots around the living room. I wasn’t sure what was it that made him ignore the pain in his ankle—he seemed like he wasn’t hurting at all—but I could tell he looked like he was about to lose it. Yeah, imagine how he would react if he was in my shoes.

                “I wanted to find out what has he done to you. I mean, blue hair is not you, Eryn,” Cassandra paused to see if I would say anything to interrupt her again, but I didn’t, so she proceeded. “So when I got to his house and his mom was coincidentally on the way out and she saw me. I didn’t give too much thought about that, but apparently she still remembers me. I was only there to talk to him at that time.”

                “She asked me Cassandra’s name after she got back from running errands and it just stuck. That’s why she called Cassandra while I was at the hospital,” Matt added, sitting on the floor now.

                “Wait, wait. I’m still confused—”

                “She thought Cassandra was my girlfriend.”

                “And you didn’t clear that up?”

                “She thought I was afraid to tell her that I was gay.”

                Both Cassandra and I looked at Matt in puzzlement.

                “Guys, obviously I’m not.”

                “Whatever, you’re not getting to the point. Ugh,” I said, frustrated.

                “Right. My mom didn’t believe me that I was straight and she saw me make out with Cassandra so I just told her she was my girlfriend.”