Cupid - Hope 2/2.

———————————

Donghyuck hadn't spoken about their previous interaction ever since, but he hadn't let go of Mark's hand for the rest of the day, not that Mark minded.

They talked about other things besides the incident, which was comforting for Mark to know that Donghyuck was still the same person and perhaps he had been overthinking it. Sure, Donghyuck was good at changing subjects whenever something hard came up, but for once he was pretty glad he had that ability.

Due to the long waits, the two decided it would be best not to go and fight the people for the rides, instead opting to sit down occasionally for some chatter.

Mark also got used to Donghyuck calling him by his birth name, and he never expected it to be this sweet and gentle on the other boy's tongue, as they bantered for hours over silly little things which made Mark realize why he loved this boy once again.

Mark had excused himself to use the washroom a while ago, only to come out to realise that Donghyuck was nowhere in sight. Aloof, he stumbled, eyes wide in panic as he searched frantically for his phone to call Donghyuck. When the younger boy didn't respond, this was when Mark started to get really anxious.

He walked around aimlessly in the park, trying to find a young boy wearing some ridiculous sunglasses, a nice, warm cardigan with messy hair and bright eyes. His eyes scanned around the area he had been at previous, to no avail, and no one he asked seemed to know where Donghyuck had went.

He didn't even care if people were staring at him weird as he sauntered back and forth. He would have assumed Donghyuck had at least half a mind to stay near the vicinity of where he was. Donghyuck was sixteen for goddamn sake, at least he would know how to stay at a specific place for just five minutes.

Perhaps he got distracted or maybe he had to take a phone call, Mark didn't know why the boy had disappeared, but he was damned if he couldn't find him.

He pulled out his phone and dialled again, this time the ringer just went on and on. He continued to wait for the tone, but it never came, as he paced forward, looking left and right for the boy.

"LEE DONGHYUCK!" Mark screamed, and onlookers looked at him.

He even saw some girls' head turn, murmuring about how it was the same name as a member from iKON, before coming closer to have a better view of what was happening.

Some people came forward to ask him who was he talking about, but he paid no attention towards them, considering how he knew his identity would have been practically exposed along with Donghyuck's. He continued to run, screaming at the same time as he did.

He didn't know what this feeling was inside of him, it was heavy and painful, but Mark didn't understand it at all. It was just Donghyuck, that naive boy who loved music so much that it would kill him if it was taken away, the boy with the great smile and beautiful eyes, the boy who joked and played around with him since he had met him.

That was Donghyuck, that was all he was, then why was it so hard to just be separated for a moment?

This was what it would have been like if he never knew Donghyuck. Mark came to that realisation. How it would be if he never auditioned for SM Entertainment in 2011, how it would be if he never decided to pursue music, this feeling was exactly that.

Perhaps he would have came to Korea, for a school trip or a holiday, who knew, but he would have been alone or with someone else, in the same park, during the same day, and the feeling would have been completely opposite. Mark saw how quiet life could have been without Donghyuck, and for once, the silence was deafening.