09 Cupid - Rise and Fall 1/3.

Mark doesn't know what to do for the last few weeks. It wasn't like pure boredom, nor was it because of the crushing feeling that he had lost any hope in life or that he didn't get any programs.

It was more of this searing, numbness in his body, the way he would stiffly look away when Donghyuck was in the room, or how he could feel his smile fade after they left the stage and he wouldn't have any excuse to talk to Donghyuck again.

Taeyong had told him it was normal, that all couples would fight and that one day, as long as someone made a move and both were willing to reconcile, the relationship would go back to it's original status, or even stronger. Mark had wished it was this simple, yet it felt as if Donghyuck would never forgive him.

It was silly to think that way, Mark knew. It was still a relationship, a budding one, and Mark had threw it all away just because he had prioritised this badly.

He reflected on it, writing in his lyric book some lyrics he had crafted in the mids of it, laughing pathetically at how terribly stupid his decisions were.

Did he take Donghyuck's decisions for granted? Absolutely. But he never expected this to get worse than it was.

He didn't notice it at first, but he just knew something was off about everything. It wasn't even just the avoidance, or the sadness in Donghyuck's eyes anymore, no, it was greater than it.

It was more of a fearful look, something that was reflected in Donghyuck's gaze everytime he met Mark. It carried pain, agonising, hurtful pain to a degree that Mark had never seen coming.

The last time he had saw that look was a long time ago, back when they both had been fresh trainees and were starting a journey that both didn't know where it would take them.

"Do you ever wonder what it will be like to debut?" Donghyuck smiled at him, nervous. It had been the first winter Mark had experienced in Korea, away from everyone, away from everything.

"I.. I don't know, honestly. I'm petrified." Mark confided.

Donghyuck simply laughed.

"Don't exert that brain too much, hyung. Big words are terribly tiring to use."

Mark punched his shoulder gently, but they both knew it was playful in nature. Donghyuck turned back to him.

"I think I'll need a long time to do so. I mean, I'm still lacking in a lot of ways."

"At least you can speak Korean." Mark retorted. The younger's eyes went big.

"Holy shit did you just make an actual good comeback?" The glee in his eyes was apparent. Mark could only giggle.

"You must be rubbing off on me."

"Thanks for the compliment." An obxnoxious grin fell on Donghyuck's lips, but Mark never minded.

"Donghyuck-ah," He started, slowly glancing at the window panes to feel the coolness of the glass.

Somehow, he felt warm despite everything, and he felt safe. He didn't know what it was at that time, but now it was safe to say it was Donghyuck.

"I hope we can debut together."

Donghyuck never replied. Mark never noticed this, but Donghyuck had intertwined their fingers, gleaming. It was almost a sign of approval.

He never knew how much he would miss it until it was gone.

————————————

It's a few weeks later when Mark ever speaks to Donghyuck. He knows it's time that's making it easier to deal with it. He doesn't even mean to, but he does.