chapter 2: Phone Home

When Liam woke up it was with a jolt, his back sore and the sound of his phone shrieking. He sat up, eyes flickering out the window his head spinning in confusion as he was met with the site of tree's and a long empty road. For a few moments he had no clue where he was, his heart rate spiking as questions filled his head, where's the anuk-ite, where are the hunters, where am I? Is everyone else safe? Before he remembered the night before, the way Theo had drove them out of Beacon hills when only the moon was watching.

Liam shifted in his seat, digging his phone out of his pocket. He blinked at it, hand scrubbing across his eyes as he looked at the bright screen. Five missed calls, four from his parents and one from Scott.

He'd left beacon hills in the middle of the night. He was going to be in some much trouble. Scott would be disappointed, his parents would be-

"Rise and shine sleeping beauty." Liam jumped as a fist rapped against the window, his head slamming against the roof with a metallic clang. He let out a groan as footsteps crunched round the side of the car, the driver side door flying open. Theo ducked down a smirk on his face. "That sounded like it hurt." He said, entirely unsympathetic. Liam shot him a glare that evened out as Theo held out a cup holder with two to go cups in it. "Hope you like coffee and Mcmuffins." Liam took the tray when Theo climbed into the car, slamming the door behind him and tossing a bag of warm food into Liam's lap.

"I got one of each." Theo said. "So choose what you want." Liam peered into the bag and saw four neatly wrapped breakfast muffins.

"You got me breakfast?" Liam asked.

"I got me breakfast." Theo said.

"What and you just happened to order an extra three breakfasts?" Liam snorted.

"Math never was my strongest subject." Theo hummed. "Hurry up and pick I'm starving." Liam grabbed the first one he got his hand on before tossing the bag back to Theo and reaching for one of the coffee's.

"Where'd you even get these?"

"Mcdonalds."

"And you just left me at the side of the road?"

"Preserving gas." Theo hummed, tapping the meter that showed the car was running on less than half a tank.

"What if something had-" Liam's phone buzzed, ringing again. Liam winced when he saw Scott's photo flash up on screen. What was he meant to tell him?

Hey Scott, yeah I'm fine, just eloping with your enemy no big deal, I'll be back for finals.

"We could always go back." Theo said when the call finally faded away, another missed call notification flashing on the screen. "It would only take a few hours. You can say you were doing one last check for hunters. They'd believe you."

"Do you want to go back?" Liam asked, twisting the food wrapping in his hands.

"Do I have a choice? You're the one who decided we were going on a road trip."

"It's not like I dragged you." Liam said stiffly.

"No you just expected me to be fine leaving with you." Theo replied.

"Well it's not like you have anywhere else to go." Liam snapped. Theo's eyes narrowed.

"Do you want me to leave you here? Because I will."

"I just meant-"

"I know what you meant." Theo huffed, he wrapped his food back up, tossing it into the bag with a scowl. "I was trying to be nice you dumb ass. Telling you it wasn't too late to run home with your tail between your legs if you're too chicken to-"