chapter 22: Renegades

"This is so weird." Mason said voice soft with awe.

"What's weird?" Liam asked, watching Scott and the others arguing on the artificial lawn.

"I'm just saying laser tag is clearly better than crazy golf!" Stiles hissed.

"I agree with him."

"Laser tag was like ten bucks more and last time we went you made a little girl cry." Scott said.

"You made a child cry?" Lydia asked.

"Alright it was an accident and-"

"Dude." Mason huffed, slapping Liam's arm to get his attention. "Look at it and tell me it's not strange."

"Look at what?"

"That-" Mason said jutting his head towards a small building at the edge of the green. Theo and Corey stood in front of it. Corey hovering uncomfortably, two golf clubs clutched in his hands as Theo handed money over to the girl behind the counter.

"What, Theo?" Liam said, head tilting trying to figure out what about Theo was so strange that Mason felt the need to point it out.

"Yeah man, Theo. He's..I mean he's tried to kill us and we're about to play crazy golf with him, how can you not find that weird?" Mason snorted.

"It's just not." Liam said with a small shrug.. "I said I wanted to get away from the supernatural and that's what we've been doing. Dumb human shit, like bowling. This is just..another day. He's not the person you think he is alright? Weird with Theo is the way he eats or the lake. Not golf."

"What's the lake?" Mason inquired.

"What? Nothing? I don't know. I'm just saying, it's not weird. Weird is that we're about to play with Derek." Liam rushed. "You know I once almost killed him and Stiles in the back of a van?" Mason's eyebrows crinkled together as his face screwed in confusion. "Look, if you act like it's not weird then it's not weird. Theo's actually funny."

"He's funny?" Mason parroted incredulously.

"Yeah man." Liam said, unable to stop himself from grinning at the horrified look on Mason's face at the suggestion of Theo being amusing. "Just trust me alright? Treat him like a normal person and he acts like it. Maybe a bit of an asshole but-"

"Yeah..Yeah. Theo being normal. I can do that." Mason hummed. "Nope, can't do it." he added a moment later, shaking his emphatically. "He tried to kill you-"

"Mason just trust me. Please."

"But-"

"I tried with Corey. You can try with Theo."

"Do you want me to ignore the fact your comparing me getting on with Theo to you getting on with my boyfriend or-"

"Shut up. I just mean..We had every reason not to trust Corey but you did, so I did-"

"Eventually-"

"And it was a good idea. So just, trust me alright. He's different."

"If he tries anything evil I'm going to beat him with my golf club."

"Dude, if he tries anything evil I'd help you kill him but I'm like..ninety percent sure his evil has simmered down to a general annoyance kind of evil."

"Ninety percent? Is that meant to make me feel better?"

"Definitely. I'm only ever like seventy percent sure Stiles isn't going to become a serial killer so-" The two boys turned, eyeing Stiles as he ranted.

"Derek I swear to god. I'm proud of you for getting a sense of humour but if you make one more joke at my expense I'm going to shove my bat so far up your ass you'll be coughing splinters."