chapter 14: The first rule of Fight Club

Liam woke with the scent of fir filling his lungs and warmth radiating along his front, pushing into his skin. He kept his eyes closed, burrowing his head further into the pillow, his nose twitched as he felt hair tickling at it. Apart from the small brush of hair against his nose that told him was probably time to get a haircut he couldn't figure out why he'd woken up. He was still too tired and he didn't have to open his eyes to know the sun was still up, eyelids shining red from the bright rays seeping into the hotel room. A rattling buzz sounded from in his pocket leaving his thigh vibrating uncomfortably and solving the wake-up mystery. He let out a quiet huff.

Just for once he'd like to wake up without some outside force waking him up. His phone shook against his leg again. Liam let out another small huff, hand fisting in Theo's blanket ready to pull it over his head and attempt to ignore the phone. His plan was foiled however when his knuckles bumped against skin and he was forced to realise his arm was not curled in the blanket like he thought. Liam took a slow breath.

He was dreaming. A very weird dream, that was all.

Liam cracked an eye open slowly only to be met with a face full of brown hair. He swallowed the lump in his throat before opening the other eye. He peered at the back of the head of hair his nose was currently buried into. Fingers twitching from where they were still curled in the shirt. Liam tilted his head, just far enough to see he was indeed spooning Theo.

Liam opened his mouth to let out what would no doubt be a scream high enough to match Lydia's only to find himself breathing in a mouthful of Theo's hair, it turned his scream to a splutter as he spat it back out barely resisting hacking like a cat with a hairball. He scrambled away, unhooking his arm from Theo's waist and rolled unceremoniously off of the bed and hitting the floor with a dull thump.

Theo let out a quiet snort in his sleep. Liam barely dodging a slap to the face as he rolled over as if searching for Liam. Liam watched with baited breath as Theo stilled once more, his breathing still even and peaceful. His shoulders relaxed when he let out a quiet breath. Theo was asleep. Theo had no idea. Everything was totally fine.

It wasn't that he really cared about sharing a bed with a guy, he'd had enough sleepovers with Mason where they'd end up crashing onto Liam's bed together. It wasn't even that it was Theo, because, well, he'd slept in Theo's truck barely a foot from him enough times in the past few days that it didn't seem like that big of a deal.

The problem was that Liam knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that if Theo woke up to find Liam curled around him like a god-damn octopus completely blind to the concept of personal space he would never let Liam live it down, especially not after the blanket debacle the day before.

Liam shuddered at the thought of Theo waking up first, he'd probably have taken a picture to use to help mock Liam, and then, well then Liam would have had to mock him from being the little spoon which would have ended with them in an actual argument where Theo told him to shut up gruffly.

Crisis averted Liam thought happily, watching Theo's sleep lax face. Liam's phone gave another echoing rumble. Liam launched himself off of the floor, clawing the phone from his pocket and quickly hanging up before any more sounds could be made.

What if Theo woke up and could still smell Liam on the bed and realised it? Or what if Liam's patch of the bed was still warm enough, telling of the embarrassing secret....choke hold. Because it was not cuddling. He wouldn't cuddle Theo. It was sleep fighting.

Liam tapped a quick text to Mason saying he'd call in a minute before he was snatching the last of the money Theo left the night before from the table and sneaking from the room, woefully grateful he'd fallen asleep fully dressed so he didn't have to bother tiptoeing around to change, all he had to do was grab his shoes from by the door before he slipped out.