chapter 36: Swanky

The last of the tension left Theo as they boarded a subway cart, at least eight blocks from where they'd left Stiles and Derek, Theo's shoulder drooping as he flopped back against one of the poles. Liam grimaced as he shuffled closer, nose twitching against the harsh smell. He didn't have to for long, the train hadn't even started moving again before Theo's hand was fisting in his shirt and tugging him closer.

"How do they all smell like piss?" Theo huffed, nosing at Liam's neck.

"Are you using me as an air freshener?" Liam asked.

"Yes." Theo said unashamedly. Liam didn't complain, just copied Theo's movement and burrowed his face against Theo's throat.

"You smell like Stiles and Derek." Liam grumbled bitterly.

"At least I didn't hug them." Theo muttered. "You smell like Adderall and man pain." Liam laughed lowly. The cart rattled to life, Liam swayed closer to Theo as it swept along the tracks

"Where are we even going?" Liam asked.

"Away from them." Theo said, hands snaking around Liam's waist and tightening until Liam was plastered against his front. "Wake me when we get to the end of the line."

"So, I'm an air freshener and a pillow?"

"you're the one who wouldn't let me drink coffee." Theo said.

"You want me to give you a piggyback once we're 'away from them' as well?" Liam asked only half joking.

"I'd say yes but you're so tiny I'd crush you-"

"Go to sleep asshole." Liam scoffed.

"I would if you'd stop talking." Theo hummed shifting his head until he was apparently comfortable.

"You know-" Liam said once Theo settled. "-You're way touchier than I expected." He regretted the words the moment they were out as Theo's hold loosened as if he were about to pull away, before Liam could open his mouth to spew out a delightful mess of word vomit in which he'd probably end up offending Theo while trying to explain how it wasn't a problem in the slightest that Theo was happy curling around Liam like an octopus at any given second, especially when tired, Theo's arms tightened again, wrapping around Liam in a crushing hug that left the air squeezed out of him like a boa constrictor before he was returning his grip to a comfortable level.

"Yeah, well, Deal with it." Theo muttered.

"I'm totally fine with it as long as you don't try to crush me again." Liam panted. He felt Theo smirking against his neck like the true asshole he was, he tightened his grip again. "Okay touch privileges revoked." Liam wheezed. Theo loosened his grip once again but didn't make any move to let Liam go, not that Liam would have let him even if he had actually listened to Liam.

"Never had a chance to do it before, It's nice." Theo breathed, words seeping into Liam's skin. Liam would never understand Theo's ability to both melt and break his heart in a single sentence. He dropped his arms, looping them around Theo's sides even as the boy gave a small huff at the slight shift it forced him to do. Liam tucked his chin over Theo's shoulder resigning himself to hugging Theo until they got to the end of the line.

*

The end of the line turned out to be in Brooklyn which Liam was sure Theo wouldn't consider far enough away from Stiles and Derek because he himself didn't but at least it was out of their immediate vicinity for the time being.

Theo didn't request a piggy pack, nor did he agree to the one Liam offered just shuffled along after Liam saying nothing when Liam found them a Motel, dug the card from Theo's pocket as he asked for one bed with only a small amount of stuttering.