chapter 30: Magic Kingdom

Liam let out a shallow sigh, eyes roaming over the ceiling for what had to be at least the thousandth time. He really wished he was exaggerating. Liam tilted his head towards the windows and almost cried in relief when he saw slithers of light peeking through the gaps at the edges of the curtains.

He didn't want to think about how many hours he'd wasted staring blankly at the ceiling rather than going back to sleep. Liam flopped his head to the other side, eyes skimming across the back of Theo's head wondering if he should wake him. Liam chewed his lip, pushing himself up slowly on an elbow, careful not to jostle the bed too much as he squinted at the small clock on the bedside table next to the chimera.

Ten minutes till his alarm would go off. Liam pushed himself off of the bed, sneaking across the room to grab a change of clothes. He'd shower first, if he happened to get out before the alarm woke Theo up then he could, if not then at least Theo would get another few minutes of sleep.

He took one last glance at Theo before disappearing into the bathroom, face lax with sleep breathing soft and even. He climbed into the shower reminding himself that it was going to be a good day. That he had a plan.

All it seemed to do was show him that his plan was fairly lackluster in the light of day. Still, it was all he had. He stood under the spray of the shower, eyeing a small path of mold between the tiles as he tried to figure out how to expand what he'd come up with the night before. He didn't hear the alarm go off, or Theo moving around the room. Too busy trying to think of what advice Mason would give him to think about the time passing.

The first indicator Liam had that Theo was awake was the sudden slam of the bathroom door as it was swung open with too much force and Theo's footsteps as he marched inside.

"Liam." Liam jumped, a high pitched shriek passing his lips as he flailed. His foot slipped out from under him and before he could even begin to register what was happening he was falling into the tub with a loud crash and a rumbling of curses. "...You alright?"

"GET OUT!" Liam yelped ignoring the pain blooming across his lower back from where it had gotten nice and acquainted with the side of the tub.

"Did you crack your head open again?" Theo hummed. Liam heard the rustle of the shower curtain and let out a third high pitched scream that he was sure he would later be very embarrassed about.

"IF YOU OPEN THAT CURTAIN I WILL KILL YOU!" Liam bellowed, sliding across the porcelain as he caught the edges of the shower curtain before Theo could pull it aside.

"Calm down, I was just-"

"We talked about this! You can't just walk in while someone showers okay? especially not silently, I mean what are you, a ninja?"

"It's not my fault you weren't listening." Theo snorted, Liam heard him shifting around the bathroom. the lid of the toilet being put down before there was a thump as Theo sat on it.

"Dude get ou-

"I'm sorry." Theo grumbled voice rasping like the words hurt to get out. Liam yanked back the shower curtain enough so he could peer through the gap at Theo slouched on the closed toilet picking his nails.

"What?" Liam asked. Theo's eyes darted up to meet his, eyes widening in surprise as if he hadn't expected Liam to hear him. He blinked slowly, eyes flickering from Liam's face to the shower draped over his shoulder like a grandma's scarf. His gaze moved away, shifting around the small bathroom like he could find Narnia peeking out from one of the corners.

"I'm sorry." Theo repeated bitterly eyes on the sink. "About last night."

"You talking to me or the sink?" Liam joked lamely. Theo's head snapped back to Liam in record time, eyes narrowing dangerously. "Me too!" Liam rushed out, before they could go for round two, or was it three, on the argument. "I mean, I'm sorry too." Liam corrected sheepishly. "If I made you think we weren't friends I didn't-"