Chapter 43: You are now entering Beacon Hills

He wasn't sure how long they stood there, curled together and ignoring the world. Long enough for their foreheads to meet in the middle, pressed against one another softly as they shared breath and pretended that they could stay exactly where they were forever. But, as much as Liam wished that the moment could last forever, as much as he clung onto it like Stiles to the last curly fry in a share box, he knew it couldn't. That time would keep going no matter how much they wanted it to stop.

And Theo knew it too; his hand loosened on Liam's neck, his lips ghosting along Liam's in a soft brush that didn't even begin to scratch the itch that Liam had before he was pulling back. Stepping towards the fire leaving Liam's hands reaching at thin air and his heart in his throat.

"So what do we do now?" Theo asked, eyes glowing with the embers and it was back to the real world. Time moved, the waterfall roared and Liam knew that Theo knew he was right. That as much as he hated the idea of saying goodbye, it was what was best. Despite knowing it was a win, finally in his favour, he couldn't bring himself to be too happy about it. He was sure winning wasn't meant to hurt.

"I mean, I'd still like a lift back to Beacon Hills." Liam said dryly. Theo's lips twisted in a smile, soft and small. "You are my chauffeur after all."

"Of course." Theo nodded. "Best damn chauffeur you've ever had, right?"

"Oh, definitely." Liam grinned. Theo looked up to meet his eye, and it broke the smile on his face, expression falling as his eyes flickered over Liam like he was looking for the last time.

"You want to stay don't you?" Liam asked.

"I do." Theo said, a sigh slipping out of him as his eyes returned to the fire. Liam held out a hand, the bracelet tucked into his palm, beads glinting in the firelight.

"Then stay." Liam said. Theo swallowed, eyes on the bracelet and fingers tapping at his side before he reached up slowly. Liam tried to ignore the pain shooting through him as Theo raised a hand, fingers picking the bracelet out of Liam's palm. Liam choked back the lump in his throat as Theo slipped the bracelet onto his wrist, a silent agreement.

"You know, If we're doing long distance, you're gonna have to be better at messaging me than you are your Mom." Theo said softly.

"Wha–Oh my god." Liam squeaked, feeling the blood drain from his face as he realised just how long it had been since he talked to his parents.

"Holy shit, she's going to kill me. I need to–" Liam wriggled away from Theo, struggling to get his phone out of his pocket.

"I wouldn't." Theo said calmly. Like he hadn't been knowingly leading Liam home to the slaughter for God knows how long. "I told her you broke your phone."

"You... What?"

"I've been sending her updates since Idaho part one." Theo said, digging out his own phone and scrolling through a ridiculously long text thread so Liam could see the countless embarrassing photos of him Theo had sent to his Mom. "I'm pretty sure you're grounded till your twenty one for not calling her for this long though."

"Why the hell didn't you remind me?"

"You wanted to get away from beacon hills. I figured it'd be easier to do that if you weren't worrying about having to convince your parents you were fine and didn't need to come home yet every few hours."

"That's just–" Liam huffed half-heartedly, anger leaking out of him the moment he opened his mouth. "Well... That's–"

"Smart?"

"Really sweet." Liam breathed.

"I'd prefer smart." Theo hummed.

"Like super thoughtful."