Epilogue #1

11 years later.

"Hey guys, listen in." Beau said holding the radio up for everyone. We all crowded around him, trying to hear the quiet talking coming from the small box.

"Chicago is now safe." They said, making everyone smile. "Chicago is now safe. We have walls, we have food, we have people. Chicago is now safe. Doesn't matter if we know you, or you're a stranger. Come to Chicago, we'll keep you from danger. Chicago is safe." It was a pre-recorded tape, repeating over and over.

"Guys get to sleep; we have a long journey tomorrow." Hudson smiled, patting my shoulder. I stood wrapping my arms around Lou, Winter and Joe's 3 year old daughter.

"I'll sort her out." I whispered to Joe, who smiled gratefully. He was exhausted, black bags under his eyes and all the colour from his cheeks was gone.

"Thank you." He sighed, rubbing his eyes. I've been a big help to him since the incident happened. And by incident, I meant Winter. 5 months ago, Winter died from brain cancer. We didn't know about it until it was too late; not that we could've stopped it. She died during her sleep, and we were able to bury her. Joe was in a state of depression for 3 months, ignoring everyone, including his daughter. It was too painful for him to look at her. She had curly blonde hair and big blue eyes, a spitting image of Winter. We call her Lou, but her full name was Louise Poppy George, her taking Joe's last name. Lou still asks where her mum is, and we tell her she went on a vacation. How are we meant to tell a three year old her mother died from cancer at the age of 29? As I carried her up the stairs, she played with my hair, twirling it through her fingers. I remained silent, trying not distract her. She used to do this with Winter when she was tired, and now she does it with me. I must admit, it is hard letting her do these things with me, knowing she used to do it with Winter. I feel like I'm making her forget who her mum really was. But I know it's what Winter would've wanted me to do. She would've wanted me to treat her like she's my daughter. I reached Joe and Lou's room, opening the door.

"Are you tired?" I whispered.

"Yes." She replied, her voice high and sweet. I leaned forward and lied her down on the bed, pulling up the blankets. "Mummy?" she asked this every night.

"She's not back yet honey." I said pushing her hair out of her face. "Soon." Lou smiled at me, her eyes drooping. "Go to sleep." I turned my back on her, my heart aching. I left the room, clutching my heart. Hudson was waiting outside. We weren't teenagers anymore, but we've hardly aged. I am 29 now, and Hudson's 33. He doesn't look a day over 22, except now he has a slight scruff to his chin and cheeks.

"Did she ask again?" he asked, and I nodded, folding into his arms. I breathed in his familiar scent of cologne and peppermint. He kissed the top of my head, humming a little song. I closed my eyes, letting him soothe me. He always did this after I put Lou down. Hudson and I had gotten closer, if that was even possible. A year ago, I had a miscarriage. I didn't know I was even pregnant; but it still affected me greatly. I hadn't even thought about having a child, I didn't know if I wanted one. But when I found out I lost a possible offspring of Hudson and I, I cried for days. Hudson would wrap me in his arms, humming the same old tune, and let me cry until I fell asleep. I pulled away and he grabbed my hand, leading me back downstairs to the others.

"Do you think Alex will be there?" Luis asked Beau. A few days after letting Beau into our group, we found out his wife's best friend was Luis's sister. He saw her get onto the RV with Willow. We hadn't seen any glimpse of that group or the RV, but our hopes were up that they would be there.

"Maybe." Grace said. Grace's hand was entwined with Luis's. He smiled at her, after she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Would be amazing." Oscar smiled.

"To be reunited with his wife and his sister, that would be good to watch." Wren said wrapping his arms around Freya's waist. She sat on top of him in his lap, looking down at him adoringly. They got together maybe 4 years ago; after we learned Wren had also lost a child. He had kept it from us because he didn't want us to pity him. His girlfriend at the time was 8 and a half months pregnant when the apocalypse began. He lost her, and his son. Freya was able to empathise with him, and one night they got together and have been together since.

"Guys." Freya smiled. "Did you realise this might be the last night in a house that we are worried about Walkers sneaking in?" We all sighed, smiling at each other. Joe had fallen asleep in his chair next to Grace and Luis.

"Which means we should probably get some sleep then." Hudson repeated. "Good night." He grabbed my hand and pulled me away again, back up the stairs. I watch him lead me and smile to myself. This is it. No more worrying. This is what I wanted. This is what we decided to look for 11 years ago in that old Toyota in Texas. We went into our room, and he pulled down the covers. "In you get." he said letting me slide in. once in he pulled the blanket over me, kissing my forehead. He joined me on the other side. I turned onto my side and he pulled me into his grasp. "You smell good." He mumbled in my ear.

"That's what you always say." I smiled in the darkness. He squeezed around my waist, making me giggle.

"You seem tense." He asked.

"I am." I sighed. "What if we finally get a chance at freedom and something happens."

"Shhh." He whispered. "Close your eyes." I followed what he said. "Now breathe, and remember everything is going to be okay." His warm breath on my neck made me get goose bumps. "I love you and that's all that matters."

"Where would I be without you." I whispered, keeping my eyes closed.

"I have no idea." He chuckled slightly. "Get some sleep."

"Hey Huddy." I said quietly.

"Mmmhmm?" he asked.

"I love you too." I smiled. Once again he squeezed me, and I knew that was the end of the conversation; there was nothing more that needed to be said.