October 1st 2014

I wake up with the light shining on my face. I sit up and yawn, letting my eyes adjust. I look down beside me to see Hudson sleeping on the floor with nothing but a pillow. I sighed and looked away. Don't be nice to him. He had no blanket and it would easily be 10 degrees. I scoop up the blanket on the bottom of the bed and slowly drape it over him. Once satisfied that he is warm I lied back down, having the intention of going back to sleep.

"Thank you." I heard him mumble.

"Didn't want you to get cold." I whispered. I heard some rustling then I felt the side of the bed get weighed down and my blanket held up for him to get under. "What - what are you doing?" I stuttered.

"The beds warmer." He mumbled.

"But I'm in the bed." I whispered.

"So?" he rolled over so his back was facing me.

"I'll sleep on the floor." I said lifting the doona to get out; but I felt his arms enclose around my waist pulling me back in.

"Don't be childish." He said letting go once he was content that I was staying.

"That's rich coming from you." I whispered. He rolled onto his back so he could look at me.

"I'm sorry for what I said Em - it was out of line."

"Yes it was." I sat up again. "I would expect that from Joe but not you."

"I know." He whispered. "I - I just didn't want to believe Ruby would do that."

"Why would I lie?" I interrupted.

"You wouldn't. That's what scares Me." he said. "She was my innocent sister."

"Was?" I repeated.

"Don't even kid yourself. Those woods were crawling with Walkers." He mumbled. "I just don't get why she was alone. Why wasn't she with anyone?"

"I don't know." I lied. I had left her in the woods for dead. I didn't care whether she came out or not.

"You would've thought someone was with her." He sighed lifting his arm above his head. I looked at the ceiling. I should tell him. I don't know how long I can lie for.

"I have to tell you something." I whispered. He joined me sitting up. "It's about - Ruby."

"Do you know what happened to her?" he asked. I looked at him, nodding slowly. He took a deep breath and waited for my answer.

"She told me - about the whole steering wheel thing, and I was mad." I whispered closing my eyes; I didn't want to look at him. "We were in the dense part of the woods, you could easily get lost." My hands curled into fists. Just say it. "I left her there. I told Joe I wanted to go back and I left her there." He stayed silent. I still had my eyes closed so I couldn't see his reaction. "I told her not to follow us, or I will shoot her. I didn't kill her; but I may as well have done."

"You left her?" he repeated. I nodded; opening my eyes. He looked vacant. Like he had heard none of it.

"I didn't think. I thought she would make it out." I said but it was pointless.

"So you are the reason she's not here." he snapped. He swung his legs out of the bed and walked to the door.

"I'm so sorry."

"You made me feel like shit; when it's your fault." He interrupted.

"I know it was wrong but -"

"But nothing. You are the reason I have no family." He said harshly. "I can't believe you would do that to me."

"Hudson I didn't think -"

"I would be surprised if you even had a brain!" he yelled. "I give up!" he opened the door to walk out.

"There's a difference between giving up and knowing you've had enough of something. Have you had enough of me?" I blurted out.

"Well," he turned to look at me, eyes glistening. "You can't treat people like shit and expect them to keep loving you."

"But -"

"I think you should choose Joe." He interrupted. "You're always saying he is an asshole, so you two would be perfect for each other." And that was it. He walked out the door, leaving me in an empty room with nothing. I felt nothing.