September 20th 2014

"Its runs time." Ruby said as everyone gathered in the lounge room. It had been nearly a week and she hadn't mentioned the kiss; maybe she didn't mind. She walked around the room, smiling at all of us, until she landed on me, in which her smile faded. "Your turn Emmeline." She said politely. Okay, maybe she did mind.

"I'll go." Hudson said. Each day we have gone out to clear the fences, each day I kill another one. He calls it recovery therapy, I call it bliss. We do a 30 minute job in 3 hours; 30 minutes killing, 2.5 hours talking.

"No, I think we can find someone else." Ruby smiled at her brother.

"I don't mind."

"You've gone each day this week." She interrupted. She didn't want us spending extra time together.

"You can't decide for me." his voice was low, but remained calm. Everyone fell silent.

"You are not going." Ruby shouted at him losing her calmness. He stayed silent, not looking at her. "Wren, you'll go with her." Wren nodded, looking over to me and smiling nervously. He kind of looked like a mouse; but not in a bad way.

"Which vehicle will we be taking?" Wren asked.

"The jeep Freya and Oscar brought it." Ruby neglected to mention my name; as I also brought in that car. "Okay, you'll leave tomorrow at 6am." She stood and looked over to me, scowling. I looked away, not being able to hold her glance for too long. I stay sitting as everyone left. I put my head in my hands and sighed; I guess I deserve this.

"Should I tell her?" A familiar voice asked. I looked up to see Hudson standing in front of me.

"Tell her what?" I asked moving aside for him to sit down.

"That I kissed you." He smiled slightly. His smile wasn't a happy smile, it was kind of an I feel sorry for you smile. And I didn't need that right now.

"No I think we should just leave it." I looked at him. I looked at the small patch of freckles under his eyes, and how when he looks at me, his eyes kind of drop, like he was constantly doing puppy eyes. I knew what I needed to do; for my wellbeing and his. I don't want him to fight with his sister and I don't want to be kicked out. I needed to stop whatever we are, before I get too attached. "I don't think I can do this." I whispered. He frowned, unsure of what I meant.

"You don't have to go." He mumbled.

"No - I mean; this, us." I looked at the ground; I couldn't look into his eyes anymore.

"Us?" he laughed angrily. "I didn't know there was an 'Us'."

"Yes you did." I whispered, "I can't see you fight with your sister anymore."

"It was one fight, that didn't even end badly."

"One fight leads to another, then another then another. You get the picture." I interrupted.

"Well, you could've told me before - before I started to feel things."

"I -" I stopped, covering my face with my hands. "I don't know what to say."

"You've said enough." He stood and walked away; and I didn't stop him. Maybe Ruby was right when she told me to stay away. She might not have meant I wouldn't survive the real world; she meant I wouldn't survive Hudson. And I haven't.