October 1st 2014

"So this is your hiding spot?" I heard Winter say behind me. I turned to see her in her familiar pink sweater.

"It's a place I go to forget." I smiled at her as she joined me. We stood next to the railing on the rooftop of Hudson's building.

"What do you want to forget?" she asked putting her arm around me.

"Everything I have done." I muttered.

"How are you and Hudson?" she asked.

"There is no me and Hudson." I smiled at her. "He called it quits."

"When?" she sounded like she hadn't noticed.

"2 weeks ago." I laughed dryly.

"Are you okay?" she asked pulling me into a hug.

"I just think," I hadn't hugged someone for a while, it was nice, "Maybe he left me because he saw me the way I see myself."

"Don't say that." She stroked my hair. "Don't ever say that."

"Nothing can last. Especially in a world like this." I pulled away from her.

"What happened between you two?" she asked, but I shook my head.

"I don't want to talk about it. I think I'm gonna go back downstairs." I smiled as she nodded.

+++

I go to walk in my room but I stop before opening the door; hearing voices inside. I press my ear against the door and instantly recognise Joe and Hudson's voice.

"I can't get over what she did." Hudson said.

"She didn't do it - I did." Joe laughed. "How long will it take to get that through your brain?"

"Look. I know you have feelings for her, but you don't have to defend her."

"Feelings?" Joe scoffed. "I love her. I've loved her since the day I stole the car off her."

"Well, why didn't you do anything?" Hudson asked.

"We are too much alike." He said.

"Now, that is true." Hudson scoffed.

"Yes we are both assholes -"

"I'm not talking about being dicks; I'm talking about the lies. You both have told so many stories..." he interrupted Joe.

"The Ruby thing? I've already told you." He mumbled. "I was there. Ruby broke the steering gage."

"That's not it." Hudson interrupted again. "I - I don't know whether the stuff she's told me is true or not. Yes the Ruby thing, but her sister's death, having a fear of guns after killing James? Were they just things to make me feel sorry for her? I don't even know if James deserved what he got."

"James planned to kill me -"

"Yeah but did you deserve life more than him?" he cut in. "Orlando?"

"So she's told you everything bad I've ever done?" Joe asked.

"Every tiny thing." I could just imagine Hudson smiling at Joe. I slid down the door, to sitting position. My legs hurt for standing there so long and I couldn't bear walking away now. I needed Joe to defend me. Tell Hudson everything I have told him has been true.

"Then I couldn't possibly say my life was more important than James." Joe whispered. I could hardly hear him. "I've done terrible things; I've hurt people. Hell, I've killed. I've refused safety for so many people; so that may as well count as killing also. Then there's you; saint boy."

"I'm hardly a Saint." Hudson interrupted.

"What are you talking about?" Joe asked. I pressed my ear harder. I thought Hudson was the most innocent out of all of us. And now he is saying he's done bad things? "She likes you cause you're pure." Joe added. I frowned; that's not the reason I like him.

"I know - that's why I've never told her." Hudson mumbled.

"Told her what?"

"When she was telling me what Ruby apparently did - she referred to the other girl Ruby warned to stay away from me." I heard him take a deep breath. "I know for a fact that Ruby didn't kill her."

"How? How do you know that for sure?" Joe asked.

"Because I killed her." Hudson sighed. I pushed myself away from the door. I didn't want to hear anymore. He killed her.

"Oh my god." I breathed heavily, getting off the ground. I stared at the door, crossing my arms. He's killed. I don't understand. He accused me of killing Ruby because I killed James. He blamed me. I unfolded my arms and clutched my heart. He made me sound crazy. He made me seem like a bad person. With the other hand I grabbed the table, accidently knocking a vase onto the ground; making a loud smash noise. I stared at it, as Hudson's door opened. He looked from me to the vase.

"Are you okay?" he asked. I just looked up at him, my mouth slightly open. I didn't know what to say. "Emmeline?" he stepped towards me and I tried to step away, but walked into the table. Joe emerged from the room, half smiling at the smashed vase on the ground. He looked up at me and must've read my face and realised it wasn't a funny situation.

"What's wrong?" Joe asked. I took sharp intakes of breath. I let my hand drop from my heart to next to my side.

"Betrayal." I whispered; quiet enough for no one to hear me.

"What?" Hudson took a step closer, and so did I, but I only did so I could push him. And push him I did. I grabbed his shoulder, and shoved him backwards into Joe.

"BETRAYAL!" I screamed, my hair falling into my face.

"What is happening?" Joe said pushing Hudson off him.

"The walls are thin Hudson." I hissed. He frowned; but soon relaxed, realising what I meant. What I had heard. "You made me feel like I was crazy."

"Em -" Joe started but I held up my hand to silence him.

"You killed her." I whispered.

"I can explain."

"Explain? You think I want to hear you explain?" I yelled. "I don't want to hear anything from you."

"Just give me a second -"

"I will give you nothing." I screamed, closing my eyes. "I gave you everything. I gave you my heart, my soul, my time. I gave you - gave you everything."

"Hear him out." Joe mumbled.

"I don't want anything to do with him." I held up my hands in defeat. "Or you." I turned to walk away.

"Emmy!" Hudson shouted but I ignored him. He called me a liar. He is a liar.