xiii. the dark year

"ABBY, WHAT THE hell?" Kya whispers in horror as she enters what used to be her home

       "ABBY, WHAT THE hell?" Kya whispers in horror as she enters what used to be her home. After Madi killed that man in the woods they continued to make their way to Shallow Valley, luckily without being spotted.

Though that was the least of Kya's worries as she opened her front door only to see Abby on the ground, pill bottles surrounding her. "Abby can you hear me? I need you to swallow this tube, okay?" Kya mutters, taking the tube from Madi. "Please let me do this. Okay. Give me the saline. I need you to hold the funnel up high, okay? Good. Stand back." Once Madi and Eden have stepped back Kya pulls the tube from Abby's mouth, turning her onto her side as she throws up.

As Abby finally calms down the back door opens, McCreary and his men entering the room. "Doc, we ready to get back to work?" He stops when he notices them, his face hardening. "How the hell did you get here?"

Kya quickly jumps up, explaining everything to McCreary. That doesn't seem to be enough for him as he commands his men to stay back and watch Abby and the children before dragging Kya with him to the ship. "Stop just before midnight." Kya instructs in order to prove herself as she stares over the surveillance footage. "As close as you can get. Okay. Play it forward."

"A 24-hour loop." McCreary realizes. "Clever."

"Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back-" Kya attempts to leave only for McCreary to stop her.

"How long do we have?" McCreary questions.

Kya sighs, turning to face him. "Assuming they left this morning, six days, maybe seven."

"Override the loop. I want to know where the hell they are." McCreary raises his voice, looking towards the man who had been working the surveillance.

"Brother, it took me ten minutes to find rewind." The man at the control center exclaims before going into a coughing fit. Kya looks around curiously as the rest of McCreary's men begin coughing too.

Kya let's out a scoff, turning back to McCreary. "You're all sick. That's why you took Abby with you from Polis, why you helped us open the bunker."

"Yes, and now that you're back, she might actually do her job. Take these to the Doc. If she's still out, force a few of them down her throat. Let's get our functional junkie functioning again." McCreary comments, tossing a bottle of pills to another man.

"Wait, junkie?" Kya's eyebrows furrow.

"Oh, I'm sorry to break it to you." McCreary feigns sympathy.

"She just overdosed." Kya glares at him. "If you give her more now, she could die."

"Well, then we have a problem. I tell you what." McCreary steps forward, trying to intimidate the young woman. "You pumped her stomach, so, obviously, you have some skills. I'll give you 24 hours to get her operating again. Once she's back on her feet, if she still won't cure us...well, I guess you both get to watch your daughters die."