xxxvii. an unconditional love

"WHAT THE HELL happened here?" Kya looks around in confusion as they step through the Anomaly and into Sanctum

Gabriel steps forward, walking towards Russell. "Russell. Heh. What the hell is this?"

"Who the hell are you?" Russell questions, the man standing at the front of the room, looking much rougher than he had the last time Kya had seen him.

At his words Kya moves to stand beside Gabriel. "That's not Russell."

"That's Malachi kom Sangedakru." A man from the crowd shouts. "And you will kneel before him."

"Well, I guess we found Sheidheda's code." Raven moves towards Kya, whispering in her ear.

"Since my ascension, the protocol has become rather simple really." Sheidheda speaks up. "Kneel...or die."

Cadogan steps forward, clasping his hands together. "Ordinarily, I would relish the opportunity to recruit your forces to the cause, but unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the patience to suffer your primitive tribalism." When the man finishes speaking his guards begin firing, shooting down Sheidheda's minions.

"Murphy!" Raven calls, noticing their friend laying on the ground. Her and Kya run towards him, Indra joining him.

"Invisibility and ray guns I can accept." Murphy comments as Raven begins to untie him. The man gestures towards Bellamy, a funny look on his face. "That needs some explaining, though."

"Restrain the soldier." Cadogan begins, pointing towards Sheidheda. "With him."

"No." Kya jumps up, standing in front of Indra and Cadogan's guards. "She's with us."

"Let's go." One of the guards pushed the redhead aside, taking Indra by the arm.

"She was standing unrestrained by the throne." Cadogan shrugs. "The only reason she is not dead is because she was unarmed." Before Kya can respond Sheidheda let's out a yell, running forward. Just as he reaches Cadogan an invisible force stops him, stabbing him in the stomach. Cadogan glances at one of his guards, pointing to the microphone in the corner of the room before squatting down in front of Sheidheda. "That wound is deep. I have no interest in removing you from your throne. Here's my proposal. You give me undisturbed passage to get what I came for. That means I see not a single soul on our path, and I leave Dr. Santiago here to treat you. When we're gone, you're free to continue the debasement of our species until you're saved like the rest of humanity by the completion of my quest. Refuse this, and you die." When Sheidheda let's out a laugh in response, Cadogan nods. "Alright, then." He turns to Kya, pointing at her. "Onward to The Key."

Kya hesitates before leading them out of the palace, moving towards the steps leading to Sanctum. "Do you have a plan?" Raven whispers in Kya's ear, the red haired woman sending her a glance that gives her, her answer.