Chapter 18

Chapter 18 is dedicated to sofiagv_writes

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------

How Melissa Met Trey- Melissa’s POV

*2 years ago*

“Please, Mel,” Patrick begged as I walked away.

“Nope.”

“I’m begging you,” he said, rushing in front of me. “Just do me this one favor.”

“You’ve been saying that since I was ten.”

“And you know I love you for it.”

I frowned at him and he gave me the brightest smile he could muster. I sighed.

“Fine,” I waved him off. “But I’m not digging you out of your trouble another time.”

“Great choice, Mel,” he grinned. “I’ll send you the details.”

I shook my head at his carefree expression as he went back to typing on his phone.

Patrick was my uncle. He was my dad’s youngest sibling and it was obvious. He was twenty something but could be a complete child when he wanted to be.

“Okay, so it’s settled,” he grinned. “You’ll meet up with him tomorrow and just show him around the city.”

“I’m not babysitting for you again after this,” I grumbled. “Especially not for free.”

“I have an excuse,” he chuckled. “Something important came up.”

“You mean a date.”

“Hey, when you get to my age, you start feeling lonely,” he sighed dramatically. “You get tired of the same provincial life.”

“Okay, Belle.”

He stuck his lip out at me. “Hey, it could be fun. His name’s Trey and he’s six. Just take him to the aquarium or something.”

“You’re leaving a little kid in my hands.”

“In your capable hands,” he said, taking my hand in his solemnly.

I sighed. It was either that or spending the Saturday alone with my sister. We’d probably end up killing each other.

So that was how he convinced me to do this. I was now tasked with the job of showing his girlfriend’s friend’s kid around the town since they’d just moved here.

-----------------------------------------------------

I glanced around the coffee shop where I was supposed to meet Trey.

Who left a six year old alone in a coffee shop? Let’s hope he was there because I didn’t want to spend the Saturday running around town trying to find a lost kid.

I sighed, looking around the almost empty coffee shop. A group of adults sat around the counter sipping coffee while the barista lazed on her phone. A cop was eating a powdered donut. A guy around my age was staring out the windows with earphones in.

That was it. I frantically glanced around the room, my heartbeat quickening. I knew this was a bad idea. The six year old was gone.

I breathed in and out. Relax, Melissa. Maybe he just went to the bathroom.
I walked up to the barista, who continued staring at her phone.

“Um, excuse me.”

“What’s your order?” she droned without looking up.

“I’m not making an order. Have you seen a kid around here? About six years old?”