Chapter 36

Becca sent a letter to Jesse later that week. She had to update him on everything going on in the kids lives anyway. She was going to let him know that she and Shawn were getting married. She was excited about becoming his wife. 

Jesse, 

Kids are doing great, Axel is growing like a weed. I swear he is going to be taller than Chloe by the time they are both in school. He is learning something new every day. Chloe is just so smart. It's incredible. I have enclosed some new pictures of them both. I wanted to let you know that Shawn has proposed and we are planning our wedding. Chloe is so excited about it. She can't wait to be the flower girl. I will make sure that you get pictures of them from the wedding. They are going to be so cute. I also wanted to thank you for giving me two of the best things in my life with our children. I love them so much and I promise to do the best to raise them to be good people. I know things didn't work for you and I, but if I was to say I would change anything I would be lying because I wouldn't have them. 

Becca

She mailed the letter off and just waited for his response. She knew there wasn't much he could do about it. She began to get prepared to go to lunch with her brother and her mother. Marshall walked into her office. 

"Ready?" he asked. 

"Just about. Bubba, I'm nervous," she admitted. 

"It's going to be fine. I'm going to be right there, I promise."

She nodded. She had changed her mind and begged Marshall to be the buffer at lunch with her mother. He had obliged and was ready to go with her. They walked out to his car. 

"It's going to be all right," he said. 

"Marshall, you're going to walk me down the aisle right?" she asked. 

"Of course Becca."

"Would you be offended if I asked Nate to walk with us as well?"

"It's your wedding, Rebecca."

"I know it's my wedding. I don't want my brother's to be upset by anything. I mean you have both been there for me in different ways. You definitely raised me though."

"I would do it again tomorrow,"

She smiled at him. He pulled up to the restaurant. They walked inside and got a table. Their mother hadn't arrived yet. The waitress walked over to take their drink orders. Becca got more and more nervous as they waited for Debbie. Marshall shook his head. 

He spotted Debbie before Becca did. She was in the middle of a phone call with Shawn because Chloe was at home, not feeling well. Debbie slid into the booth opposite of two of her children. 

"What can I get you to drink?" the waitress asked. 

"Just a water please," Debbie said. 

Becca hung up the phone. She glanced at her mother. 

"Hello mother," she said. 

"Rebecca," Debbie replied. 

"How have you been?"

"I've been all right. How about you?"

"I've been doing really well lately."

"That's good."

Marshall just sat back and let them talk. The waitress came back and took their order. 

"I'm getting married," Becca said. 

"Really?" Debbie asked. 

"October 7th."

"Oh wow,"

"I would like you to be there."

"Of course I will be there."

Becca nodded. Debbie watched her daughter for a moment. 

"Marshall told me you have a few kids now?" she asked. 

"Yes, I have a boy and a girl. Axel is going to be a year on January 1st. Chloe is three." Becca replied. 

"That's awesome. Are you marrying their father?"

"Jesse is their father. He's in prison. I am marrying Shawn Danvers. He is a friend of Nate's."

Debbie nodded. The rest of their lunch went smoothly. Becca felt better about it all as she sat back in her office. Marshall just shook his head. 

"Told you it would be fine," he said. 

"We didn't really get into the mess that was our mother daughter relationship though," she replied. 

"I know."

"It's all right though."

About a week later, she got a response from Jesse. She wasn't expecting it. He didn't always write back. 

Becca

I'm happy that Shawn has decided to make an honest woman out of you. I look forward to seeing the pictures of the kids from the wedding. I hate that it didn't work out for you and I but I only have myself to blame for that. I screwed everything up. You were the best thing that ever happened to me and I destroyed that. I destroyed you and for that I apologize. You didn't deserve anything that I put you thru. I thank you for having both of the kids. Chloe went thru hell because of me. She is who she is today because she has the best mother she could ever have. As for Axel, he will be an incredible man. He will have your influence and he has Shawn to model himself after. He will learn how to treat women from the way that Shawn treats you. I saw it when you were both here. I just knew that you getting married was a matter of time. 

Jesse

Becca leaned back in her seat. She was shocked at how much Jesse was changing in prison. She was fairly certain that it was only happening because he was in prison but she was glad that it was happening. She didn't feel guilty about being with Shawn. She didn't feel bad about the kids calling Shawn dad. She was glad that they had two men that were part of their lives even though they wouldn't really see Jesse. She was glad that they could model their life on what not to do from Jesse and then what they should do from Shawn. She couldn't be more thankful for how things were now.