Chapter 21

When Marshall got home later, she decided to bounce the idea off of him. It had already made Nate angry so why not make Marshall mad too. She slipped into the kitchen while he was getting something to drink.

"Hey Marshall," she said slowly.
"I think you need to do what you feel is best, Becca. If that's going to see him, then go do it. You got a good thing going with Shawn and if you need to close that door by going to see Jesse, then go do it," he replied.

She stood there in shock. She wasn't sure what she had been expecting but him being so understanding was throwing her off.

"You aren't gonna throw a fit and tell me I am an idiot?" she asked.
"No, why would I do that? I still deal with Kim and majority of the time, I don't even like her. I would probably still introduce her to anyone who would be in the girl's lives and they are grown," he replied.

Becca nodded, thankful that he understood it. Nathan Mathers wasn't the easiest to explain things to. He was hardheaded and completely stubborn.

She felt a bit better after talking to her oldest brother. He hugged her.

"Don't let Nathan get to you. He is just worried about you," he said. 

She nodded. This was something that needed to be done though. She needed to be able to move on with her life. Shawn was quickly becoming someone she was close to. Her kids loved him. Chloe was always asking about him now. She needed this to work. It had been stressful and she was thankful for Shawn at the end of the day. 

That Saturday, she and Shawn drove to the prison where Jesse was being held. She was extremely nervous. She was changing her mind about this entire thing. Shawn slipped his hand into hers as he drove and she relaxed slightly. He glanced over at her. She was staring out the window. 

"Do you still want me to wait for you?" he asked. 

"Can you come in with me? I really don't know if I can do this." she replied. 

"Of course babe. I got you."

She nodded as he pulled up to the prison. She was ready to throw up right now. She had brought along pictures of both kids so that Jesse could at least see his son once. Shawn took her hand as they walked inside and went through the standard searches of getting to see an inmate. 

They were sat at the table together waiting on him to be brought out. She was so nervous that her leg kept bouncing. Shawn put an arm around her and his forehead against hers. She closed her eyes and enjoyed how close he was. He kissed her forehead and sat back. 

"This is going to work out just fine," he said. 

She nodded as the doors letting the inmates into the visiting room opened. Jesse walked toward their table dressed in typical prison uniform. He had on dark blue pants and a white shirt. She squeezed Shawn's hand, the closer Jesse got to them. 

"Hey Becca. I didn't think you wanted to see me again," Jesse said as he sat across from them. 

"I honestly didn't, but with me dating again I felt it was only right to let you know," she said. 

"This him?"

Becca nodded. Shawn just watched the man in front of him for a moment. 

"Hopefully you take care of them better than I did," Jesse said, sincerely. 

"Working on that," Shawn replied. 

"How are the babies?"

"Getting big, I brought you pictures. The guard says you can take them back with you," Becca said. 

"I thought you ain't want me to know anything about them?" Jesse asked. 

"I've done a lot of thinking and recovering from what happened between us and what landed you here. I think you backing me on your parents not seeing them, kinda gave me a lot to think about."

"They fucked me up, I wasn't going to let them do that to my kids. I know I'm messed up. I know I did a lot of fucked up shit. I never should have hurt you or that girl."

"Am I on punked right now?"

Jesse chuckled. 

"Nah, they made me start seeing a therapist in here. Dude is really helping me out," he said. 

"That's good. Jesse, you still need to find a way to apologize to Nate. We went through a lot of shit," Becca said. 

"I know we did and I don't know how to fix that shit for you from here."

"Nah, Nate and I are good. He loves the kids like crazy. He is pissed at me right now for coming up here though."

"I can respect that. I let Steve steal that shit and I shouldn't have. I was so fucked up on drugs and shit. I'm sober in here. I can't do shit in here but apologize. I'm not getting out of here and I respect you not wanting the kids to see me in here. Are you even going to tell them about me?"

"Chloe knows about you. As far as Axel goes, I honestly don't know. I don't want him to hate me nor you for the shit in his life. He has gotten really attached to Shawn."

Jesse looked in Shawn's direction. He could see that this guy really had feelings for Becca and he knew he had to let her go. He had to let her be happy with her life. He had to do that for her and the kids. 

"Make you a deal," he said. 

"What?" she asked. 

"Drop the order making it so I can't contact you and give me updates on them. Please Becca? I know I can't be there. I know another man will take my place in their lives but give me that at least. I won't interfere. I won't ask you to bring them here. I just want pictures and updates on them. Please?" 

The look on his face almost killed her. Jesse had resigned himself to prison. She glanced at Shawn before nodding to him. Jesse smiled sadly. He turned to Shawn again. 

"Take care of her and them. She is a really great girl. I just couldn't see that past all the drugs I was on. I fucked up and lost the best thing that ever happened to me. Don't let it happen to you man," Jesse said. 

"I got her and them," Shawn replied. 

They shook hands. Jesse stood from the table, signalling to the guard that he was saying his goodbyes. He looked at Becca for a moment. She stood from her seat, tears streaming down her face and hugged him tightly. 

"You be careful and take care of yourself," she said. 

"Don't worry about me. I made my bed," he replied. 

She nodded as his lips met her cheek. She walked out of the prison with Shawn's hand in hers and tears rolling down her face. She had given Jesse the pictures of the kids. She also had the information to be able to write him and send him pictures. Shawn stopped her before she got in the car and wrapped his arms tightly around her. She sobbed into his shirt with her head buried in his chest. He just held her and let her cry. She pulled back, wiped her face and stood on her tip toes to press a kiss to his lips. 

"Thank you," she said. 

"For what?" he asked. 

"Being such an amazing person that you aren't even questioning why I'm crying right now,"

"Babe, I got you. I meant it in there. I am going to take care of you and those babies. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a life you lived for so long to move onto something else. Plus I know the heartbreak for your kids."

She nodded. He opened the car door for her. She got in and he drove them back to Marshall's place.