Chapter 14

"Marshall," Becca sounded like she was three again.
"Sup?" he asked.
"You don't think it's taking this long because the judge is going to give in to them do you?"
"Nah, just dragging it out."

The look on Becca's face said it all. He was thrown back to when she was younger and would come to him after a nightmare. The Mathers kids had always stuck together.

Flashback

Becca had woken up when their mother came home with whatever flavor of the night. She crawled from her bed, padding down the hallway to her big brother's room. She just hoped he was there. He had been going out partying a lot lately leaving her and Nate at their mother's mercy. She pushed open the door to Marshall's room. He was sprawled out across the bed, thankfully alone. Becca didn't like Kim at all. Becca found her wannabe sweet act annoying. Becca was only three. She knew her brother was dating Kim now but didn't know what that meant.

"Bubby," she whispered.

Marshall opened one eye and looked at her. He didn't say a word, just pulled her up onto his bed and kissed her little cheek.

"You ok?" he asked, sleepily.
"Mama's back," she said.

He listened for a minute and rolled his eyes. Becca was cautious about the men that their mother had brought around. It started after one tried to touch her a few months earlier. Marshall held his little sister close. She huddled up into his chest and closed her eyes. His breathing evened out as he drifted back off and it lulled her back to sleep.

Becca had always been able to count on her big brother until Kim began living with them. Kimberly Scott hated when Becca would need Marshall for anything.

Jealousy would rear it's ugly head anytime Becca asked Marshall for anything. Kim would whine and throw a fit. Becca was five years old the first time she felt she couldn't go to Marshall. One of the men her mother brought home, found his way into her room. He only touched her but she didn't feel like she could go to Marshall. He found her curled up with Nathan the next morning when he went to wake them for school.

"Becs, you have a nightmare last night?" he asked as he drove them to school.

She refused to answer him. He looked in the mirror at her. Nathan gripped her hand tightly. Kim was in the front seat and there was no way Becca was talking with her around.

"Becca," Marshall said, as she got out of the car.

The little blonde looked at him, her little pigtails bouncing.

"I love you," he said.

Becca nodded trying to hold in the tears that were trying to come out. He knelt in front of her.

"Hey kiddo, what's going on?" he asked, wrapping his arms around her.

Becca began to sob against his shoulder without meaning to. She knew Kim would be mad and she would pay for it later when her mother went out and Marshall was at work. Marshall held her tight, the confusion swirling in his mind.

"Becs, tell me what's wrong," he said.

She shook her head as hard as she could against him.

"Rebecca Jolene Nelson-Mathers," he said sternly.
"Marshall, she is fine. Let's go," Kim whined, glaring at the small child.

Becca only sobbed harder. Marshall made a decision. He watched Nate walk in the doors of the school and put Becca in the car again. He looked at Kim.

"I am keeping Becca with me today. You can either deal with it or leave for the day," he snapped.

It was only the first of many fights they had about Becca and even Nate.

End

"You know I felt like all those fights you had with her were my fault," Becca said.

Marshall made a face at her.

"Wasn't your fault that she was such a bitch," he said.
"I know that now, but I was a kid. I just needed my big brother and I paid for it in the end," she replied.
"What do you mean?"
"Mom would leave us with Kim when she went to bingo and you were at work. Kim made my life a living hell if you had done anything with me during the day. Even tying my shoes was a punishable offense in her eyes because I was taking up time you should have been spending with her."
"Fuck, Becs, I wish I had known all of this then."
"I was a kid and scared of her."

He nodded, hugging his little sister to him.

"I don't want that for my kids. I want them to be happy and healthy. They are amazing little kids and they deserve the best," she said.
"They are some damn good kids," he agreed.
"I'm sorry I never told you about things after Kim came around. I thought in my kid mind that you were happy and I didn't want to destroy that."

He hugged her again.

"It's all right. The kids came out of it so it wasn't all bad," he said.
"Do you regret only biologically having Hailie?" she asked.
"Nah, Alaina and Whit have been in my life since they were babies so it ain't that much different."
"But you never tried for a boy."

He shrugged. He loved his girls. They were great girls and he felt almost as if he was able to get a second chance since things had gone so wrong with Becca. She sighed as they sat on the couch.