Chapter 4: How it Should be

A warm kiss on my cheek. I pull the covers over my face. A tug of the covers and minty warm breath trails down from my neck to the center of my thin, pink nightgown."Stop." I say and giggle. A large hand lays on top of the area right beneath my cleavage. Is that where my heart is located? Another kiss on my neck. I giggle. "What do you want?" I ask.

"I want you to wake up. I have a movie date planned for us."

"I don't feel like going to a movie theatre. Too much pandemic restrictions. Plus, how can you abide by their rules if you're so addicted to kissing me?"

"I don't follow rules. I make them. If those rules don't suit me, I'll make new ones."

"You're so bad. That's called: breaking the rules."

"Oh, is that what humans think of new creations."

I open my eyes and stare at him for a bit. My hand caresses his black hair. He's so handsome but he's still witholding secrets. I always thought, us meeting was meant to be but what if he's been orchestrating it the whole time. He's so handsome. It's making me feel more conflicted. Should I tell him what I heard last night? Or should I patiently wait for the truth to unfurl before my eyes. Does he truly love me or does he see me as a vessel to carry his children and nurture them. I'm not an inanimate object and I don't want to be treated as such. I stop caressing his hair and stare at the sunbeams flowing into the window.

It's closed. He must have closed it sometime before I woke. A glint of sadness I can't pinpoint within me slightly grips my throat. His hand grips the side of my waist as he buries his head in between my neck and shoulder. " What's wrong? Was it something I said?" He asks. The truth or a lie? I look at the hallway. "I got a bit sad because your embrace is so comfortable but I know I have to leave and go brush my teeth. I don't know how I'll cope with the distance." I say and giggle. A lie.

"That makes me sad sometimes too. I don't want us to ever be far apart ever again."

"Again?"

"I meant with you going to the bathroom and all. So, I've come up with a solution. I'll accompany you to the bathroom while you freshen up."

"I don't need you to do that. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, honey."

"Or it makes it forget..."

"What? I can't forget you. You're too handsome."

"You can if you never met me. Then you'd settle for a decent guy without even knowing that you settled."

"Why are you saying this? Deities are really creative."

"I guess so. I'll be waiting for you in the living room when you're done."

Yes there's more to this than he initially let on. I'll just get him to keep opening up more through conversation. He'll eventually tell me all I need to know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rhinestones on my mask shun as the light from movie screen richoted off of it. His sky blue mask did not shine because he does not like "sparkly stuff" on his clothes. His huge gold hand grips my thigh as the main characters leave each other to go on separate missions. I didn't think a spy movie would make him this nervous. One of the spies's friends gets killed in a kidnapping went wrong. The spy was too far away to save him. I hold the top of his hand that is on my thigh. Wow, we are really on edge. Whose idea was it to watch this movie again?

One of the spies throw a grenade in the enemies mega surveillance computer and it explodes throwing both of the spies back. One hits the wall while the other hits their head on a cabinet that then hits the wall. In typical movie fashion ", the good SWAT team" storms in and pick up the heroes and take them to the hospital. The one with the least damages is interrogated off screen and the other is still in a coma. The screen flashes a text "6 months later" tag on the bottom of it. Just as the other spy visits, agents from other agencies in the government conveniently say before the camera zooms into the scene ": He's been visiting him everyday since the incident. Oh it looks like he's finally waking up." My husband holds my hand. The other spy wakes and asks ": Who are you and where am I?" My husband jumps up from his seat. "No!" He yells. I try to get him to sit back down and calm down to no avail.

He grabs my hand and pulls me up. My red and black dress sways with every move we make. "You're coming with me." He says. "Where? Where are we going?" I ask. He briskly walks us to the screen with end credits scrolling on it. He touches it and opens a portal. I look back at the few people watching us. Probably thinking my husband is having a psychotic break. "People are staring at us." I say with slight panic in my voice.

"They're not staring at us. I've cloaked us since we were standing near the seats."
I guess they're the people that stay after the credits to get a sneak peek of the next movie in the saga. The portal sucks us in. We appear before a white table as long as a conference room table with five deities sitting in each seat, not including my husband. "Goddesses of fate, you've shown me my true wife and soulmate. Now, I'm with her I don't want us to ever part. Can you ensure our fates are romantically woven together forever?"

The wise women with threads in their hands say ": She's a mortal. Her soul may be immortal but every mortal just reincarnates. Plus, at an earlier stage of her life she prayed and wished to no longer have her reincarnations exist on Earth. This is not a simple task."

"What must I do to simplify this task for you?"

"You must duel death and win. Once you have victory you can ask him to tie a spiritual bond of romance between your souls."

"Death knows nothing about romance. I'm sure he can tie a deathly knot to bound us together but I can't be sure it would be a knot between lovers."

"That's why you'll need the goddess of love to put a touch of her magic in the tie that bonds you and your wife forever. After that you both won't ever part from each other."

Death, with his reaper cloak at the head of the table nods. His hood hides his face. An old man with a metal cane and a thining brown and grey crown of hair looks at us. "What do you want?" He asks. "I want you to delete every dimension where me and my wife aren't together in love. I don't want us to have any other spouses with children that aren't parented by us and our union."

"Boy, you ask a lot of me. Do you know how many dimensions you and her exist in without ever crossing paths or even ever being bothered to be romantically involved with each other. If you want this task done, I'll give you the weapon to do it with. Take this scythe and you should be able to destroy every dimension it guides you to. Those dimensions are the ones you seek to get rid of. To make sure you stay committed to completing these tasks we will keep your wife under our watch away from you. When you have completed your tasks, your wife will be waiting for you in your bedroom and I'll set the time to your first honeymoon night."

"Deal."

The darkness around us that we seemed to float on pulls me away from them all until everything goes black, and I hear little birds chirping by my bedroom window.

*Comic for this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BM38L26?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860