Chapter 23: Miscarriage

"Momma!" Air yells. I feel my body freefalling. A loud rumble comes from the skies and the the ground. "Boom!" Lightning strikes the Earth. I slowly open my eyes and the scene before me comes into focus.  Air is shaking me and I look at the closing portal behind him. "What happened and where are we?" I ask.

"You were sleeping for a couple of days...and the temperature outside rose to 60°C or 140°F. It rained...and then the streets filled up and became rivers. Daddy is in the sky...but the old man in Death's house told me he'll get rid of me once he's done with Daddy. Waves of energy was swirling around him. I had to get us away from there... he jumped into the flood water outside." I look at my baby and rub the smooth, soft curls atop his head.

King Enkimdu is trying to turn our reality like the end of that memory. He wants to make the ocean flow out into space and get rid of the sky. He thinks this is the only way to free the world from the God of Destruction. I look down and think of all that I will miss in this world if he succeeds... Obviously, I'd miss my son and husband but we could still remain together because we aren't living. We exist. So, this time I have to think of the communities around me of past and present. Will I truly miss everyone? No. From the teacher who didn't care to understand a dispute between my son and Celestial to my broken family in the states... I don't feel love or care from the communities around me.

I have my small family, worldly things, financial stability and overall success but... What's it all for? Certainly not to impress the apathetic community that surrounds me. I'd like to give myself some uplifting speech and push through being worn down, but I'm tired of being strong. I'm a woman. I've lost a baby and my clothes are dirty and caked with dry blood in some old wooden shack in some woodland somewhere. I should've been sent to some medical office or a gynocolgist by now but no... All Seasons and Death could focus on is their war with my husband. Birds chirp on the porch outside waiting for the rain to let up. It's the little things that make the big disaster like little rain drops adding to rivers and lakes of sorrow until they overflow. The little things is why I won't interfere. If the world is saved, refreshed, destroyed... I'll leave it up to the Goddesses of Fate to say if it's time to let this lifetime go and exist anew elsewhere.

"I'm going to take a shower. You go in the bedroom and find somewhere to sleep. Ok?" Air nods. A tear runs down my cheek. I wipe it in disbelief. I know I'm sad but I didn't know I felt this melancholic. Once I shakily stand up, I stumble to the bathroom. My stomach begins to cramp and Air tries his best to help me make it to the bathroom. Once inside, I tell him to leave and get some rest. A sharp pain in my abdomen had me slam the door and strip naked. I sit on the toilet groaning. When I look inside of it, I see a bloody sack in the form of a early staged fetus. Its fingers hugging its palms and its legs floating unattached beside it. I lament for its erased possibility. Air knocks on the door. Through the wailing I tell him ": I'm fine. It's fine. Go back to sleep. This is just a phase that Momma's going through." Is it a phase I should be going through? No, King Enkimdu says I belong to him like I'm some possession but... "Where's his love and care for me? Why did he leave me in this state just so he can fight against my husband? I'm not fine and I don't deserve to be treated like this. I stand up and my legs wobble until I drop to the wood floor. Blood on the seat, on the floor, and in the toilet bowl. Blood running out of me and I'm thirsty. I'm so thirsty but I got to make myself move from this stupor. Get off the floor Ash! You can do this. All you have to do is clean this mess up so that Air won't find you in this mess. Come on legs move! I can do this! I ca- Black darkness steals me but I'm faintly still conscious. I'm fighting the sleep that's slowly taking over.

Big, rough hands lift me up and I feel the shower water pelting down on me. Soft suds and the force of a towel rubbing all the grit, blood and grime away. The shower water soaks my hair until the straight strands revert into frizzy curls. I feel one of those rough hands cup my neck as light pressure lays on the opposite side of it. Wet sticky drops seeps into my veins. A warmth courses through my body and my eyelids pop open. Wild magenta eyes gaze down at me. Bright golden skin on such a handsome face. His cheeks are wet but I do not know if it is from the shower or his tears. I rub my chocolate fingers through his midnight, straight black beard. His upper cheek is so smooth and wet. Damn! Chocolate looks so good paired with gold. I peck his lips and say ": Thank you! You're my knight and my forever King. I love you. I'm sorry that I doubted you. You didn't deserve that."

"Are you on my side?" I grin and look at his watery eyes.

"Always and forever, honey." I massage my fingers through his thick black hair and he embraces me.