Chapter 8: Blessings

Looking at the ceiling above, I think of the romances of my past. There have been members in my family, that I've long since distanced myself from, that had very low expectations for me. I knew what I wanted for my future. I wanted to get married and be a supportive wife to my husband. Everyday I will strive to meet that goal. I want to be a loving mother that helps to guide my child on the best path for them in life, and I have the best partner to help me accomplish that goal.

I've achieved. When so many people thought I could never make it. My child won't have the toxic environment I had to grow up in. When I was a teen, I wished and prayed to not be re incarnated on Earth. That's how bad the verbal, physical, and psychological abuse seemed to me. The saddest part about being a victor is seeing all those who failed to make it where you are. "Survivor's remorse." I suppose but it shouldn't be so hard to achieve such a normal thing like marriage. Being a wife and a mother of the children born from the union of you and your soulmate who promised themselves to you before all. So romantic. I understand many don't see the love that exists in the fine print, and I don't wish to change their mind. I just feel sad for those who think like me and can't easily find others with like minds to match with. Clogging the amount of happiness we all could have.

My husband pulls me closer. His eyes are closed and his black hair is as smooth as the ink flowing from a calligraphy pen. My fingers gently stroke his hair. I am so grateful for him and this view of him. He's so handsome and I'm so in love with him. It's funny. All the men who tried to keep me from a love like this, before we met. The empty words of affection and love given to me by the "shallow dwellers," in an attempt to rob this future union of how deeply I love this God. All the time they thought they could take away from our union, but I knew their tricks and I withheld for "the one." I felt it in their actions around me and how they treated me. It's like the cold feeling you feel beneath you the deeper you swim out in a lake. So much emptiness. Their shallow eyes moving through motions of what they thought would get to me instead of truly seeking and asking to learn anything about me.

On our first date, at a cafe near the tech college I attended, he told me ": I want to dive deep into love with you. Only those whose hearts lack courage wouldn't dive deep. I'm serious about getting to know you. Do you feel the same for me?"

He said the words and asked me the question I was waiting for a lover to ask me for so long. Instead of fumbling through, like the true victor he is, he got it right on the first try. It made my heart feel so warm and safe. I still feel this comforting warmth resonating within the core of my being. I smiled at him. Breathlessly I said ": Yes." My heart started to beat so fast I thought it would leap out of my chest. It was then that I knew that I found my soulmate", the one."