Chapter 24: Secret Infinity

From the room of a gynocolgist's office, I look out of the window rubbing my hand across the blue disposable face mask they gave me. My husband brought me here and I am so happy that he did. The sky is grey and the clouds look swollen and hang low. Some streets are overflowing while the street before this place does not even have a puddle. The clouds start to dip lower in the sky until all I could see out of the window was soft dark grey clouds.

Lightning forks across the clouds before landing somewhere below. The ground below quakes and the doctor uses a curette in a "D & C"  or "Dilation and Curettage" procedure to scrub the remnants of what she told me was a ": miscarriage." I don't know how I should feel right now. I'm sore, I'm sad, I feel a bit guilty and a bit mad. I just... I did make it easy for Enkimdu to kill the fetus. If only I'd caught on to what he was doing sooner or if I didn't go to Death and Seasons house. "Don't be hard on yourself. It was a natural miscarriage. They're unexpected and naturally happen. If something vital to the fetus doesn't form properly, this occurs. It's normal for you to be emotional as well. Your body was ramping your hormones up so that you can house a baby for nine months. Look, the upside is that you already have a baby boy. So all that extra love you were planning on giving that fetus, can now be poured onto your son." The doctor says to me. She gives me a prescription and before I know it, I'm hobbling down the street to a flooded block. What am I doing? I just have this urge to go this way...

The clouds are so low here, that I can barely see my boots through their fog. Lightning lights up the clouds above in a blur and thunder rumbles loudly around me. The ground beneath me shakes and flood water rises up on my boots. I backup and it keeps rising around me until it is at my ankle. I hear the water slosh. Heavy, lean hands grab my shoulders and pull me forward in the fog. Once a cool, lean tall frame pins me to its chest while the other hand ventures up my spine and the tips of their fingers linger over my husband's healing bite mark. "Ash, Seasons and Death have been obliterated. See..." Enkimdu says in my head. A vision of my husband in his fox headed beastly form scoops Seasons from the streets and rips out her heart. She falls from ten feet high to the hard street below. The vision fades and Death being lassoed into a portal by what looks like intestines speeds past my view and fades to white.

"Enkimdu, I think it's time you go back to the ocean." I say.

"What? You're not implying what I think you are implying right? Asher he's destroyed our allies he murdered our young..." I turn my head to the fog beside us.

"That happened long ago. We are not the same beings we were all those years ago. You're not carefree and looking for peace anymore like a hippie surfer dude... You're vengeful, calculating and don't care who you step over to win but how you win matters to me. You say he's a monster but you killed my fetus. You left me bleeding out in that worn down apartment from a miscarriage! A miscarriage you induced! I have feelings you know. I'm more than just someone you breed with or a body that helps you blow off sexual tension. I feel, observe, learn and understand. I am my soul not my body but you can't seem to tell the difference." My eyes get watery.

"Ash, where's this coming from? I don't understand. What did he do to you? Did he change your mind? He's manipulating-"

"Of course, you don't understand... You're not trying to comprehend. Literally, you're listening for keywords from my mouth. You want to hear what suits you in this moment but this moment isn't all about you. You share it with people and beings around you. I'm not going to side with someone who only seeks instant gratification. You're behaving immaturely even though you look like an old man now. Think about the chain reactions to your actions. Think about the future!" I wipe the tears from my cheeks and release a shaky breath.

"I thought reminiscing on what we were and what we could be again was enough for you. Why isn't it enough for you? It's enough for me to do anything to get it back.

"Stop trying to be like him to win. Mimicry of the original will not give you the same accolades as the original. Besides what's the point of a victory, if you feel hollow and feel like you lost anyway? If you lose everything else you value, just to get it." The wind picks up and howls around us and the temperature drops.

"Ash, I believe we belong together. Since I first met you I thought you were the only one for me. I don't want to give up on us. I won't!"

"Do it for our last son lost at sea." I gently pull myself out of his grasp and look down.

"I'll go and I'll find him...our son. When I do, I'll visit the coastlines all over this world. Waiting for you to come back to me." I nod. He splashes back into the high flood water and the fog becomes mist. A water spout appears on the other side of the big body of water ahead. I don't know how I got this close to this to all of this water. Air walks up to my side and grabs my hand. "Momma, are you ready to go home?" Air asks. I shake my head as I watch the water spout pick up a huge fish. My husband appears in the air beside the water spout. It disappears and leaves the huge fish freefalling. He morphs into a giant squid and falls in the water with the big fish. There is a couple huge splashes and then nothing.

"Asher, don't forget me. Remember that I'll always come back for you!" Enkimdu's voice echoes in my head making me a bit dizzy. "Momma, let's go home." Air says and tugs my arm back toward the portal. I nod and follow him. "Yes, let's go home sweety." I say.