Chapter 7: Chocolate Kisses

I wake up but I do not open my eyes. I feel my husband readjust my body on the bed. He wraps my body in the grey sheets like a empanada. I open my eyes and laugh. "What are you doing?" I ask. "You were shivering so I wrapped you in the covers." He says. I laugh again.

"Since you're up..." He begins to separate the sheets from me. His golden nude wide shoulders hover over me while he continues to loosen the cover's hold on me. I sit up and kiss his torso. He stops loosening the covers and his chocolate eyes stare into my wide eyes. The muscle in his jaw constricts and his thick eyebrows furrow. I stop kissing him. "You're an addiction waiting to happen." He says in a low sexy voice. I look at him with wide eyes and a coy smile. "What are you talking about?" I ask. He pulls the rest of the covers off of me in one sweep.

A cold air hovers over my nude form. He's right. It's cold. Goosebumps trail across my torso and I begin to shiver. "It's cold." I say. I look at the window. It's closed. "The temperature dropped last night. I didn't readjust the thermostat for the heater." He says while eyeing me like a wild animal that is ready to pounce. I wrap my arms around my chest and make a move to get out of the bed. "You're not leaving." He says and smirks while locking me between his legs. "What are you doing? It's cold turn on the heater, you weird person!" I say and laugh. I try to push him off and he catches my arms and places them beside me. The gold bangles on my arm, that I have not taken off since our wedding day, jingle. His hands are warm. His body hovers over mine as he kisses me here and there.

"I-" I say and he breathes hotly on my neck. I close my eyes and turn away from him. "You give up already?" He asks. "No, I'm hoping faking sleep will make you turn on the heater. Ice King!" I say and chuckle.
He lets one of my arms go and tickles my abdomen.

"Stop! I'm ticklish."

"I know."

My back arches up and our torsos touch. When his skin touches mine, I feel like I'm on a prairie sun bathing. It's a cozy warmth that I want to envelope me forever.

"How are you so warm? The temperature outside is low enough to make the coolness creep inside our home."

"It's you. You're my spark. When I'm near you, I feel like anything is possible. I've missed you so much when we were apart. I don't think you would be able to fathom the invisible pain it caused me. I'd wonder what you were doing and if someone was trying to court you while I was away. I was anxious and paranoid at times even grumpy because of it. I just wanted to hold you close to me and wanting it without being able to do it soon... Made me crave it." He pulls me into an embrace and gives a deep kiss to my mouth.

It feels like waves of steam is rolling off us. I moan and his hands secure me around his form. "So, are you going to tell me how you got so toned over our time apart?" I ask. He chuckles.

"I didn't even notice. It's probably when I broke the tail end of my scythe." He says and readjusts me on him. I shut my lips tight and stifle the noises coming from my throat. A songful hum takes the place of the noises from me in the airwaves. He pushes my hair behind my ear and dives in for another kiss. I evade him by moving my head and pushing him onto his back. I wag my finger in front of his face. "Bad boy." I say in a seductive tone. His eyebrows knit together and his eyes turn magenta. We wrestle on the bed until I land on top of him again. I raise my hands victoriously.

"Oh, you got me. Yes, you won this round..." He says.

"It's okay my brave warrior. You can't win every battle."

"Oh, is that right?"

He tickles my torso again and my arms drop to my stomach. "You're not playing fair." I say

"Life isn't fair."

He lays back on the bed while I sit atop him like he is a throne. I look up at the ceiling and smooth my hair back. "How did you do it?" I ask.

"Do what?"

"End the versions of you and I from the other dimensions." His hands shot to my hips and he lightly squeezes them.

"What made you think of that all of a sudden?"

"That old man gave you the scythe and told you to destroy dimensions with it. You said the tail of your scythe broke. I was wondering if it came from fighting our other selves as they fought to try to stop you from destroying their respective dimensions."

He groans and shut his eyes. When he opens them again they are brown. He looks at me intently. "The scythe rips through reality and it can cause a black hole to eat up what should no longer be there. None of ourselves in those dimensions knew what I was doing. They were happy or preoccupied living the lives they chose to live apart."

"Does saying: they chose to live like that, make you feel less guilty about getting rid of those dimensions?"

"Inquisitive. Yes, it does Ash. Seeing the poor state of the natural environment on their planets in their respective dimensions eases the blow too. I don't think of it as the end for them. I think of it as a new beginning for us."

"Aww! That's so sweet." I moan.

His irises reignite to their magenta hue. I lay beside him at the foot of the bed. The Sun rises into the sky during our breathless sessions. When we stop, a mixture of sleepiness and soreness tug at me until I am fully in their grip. "The tail of the scythe broke because I had a close encounter with one of the black holes it caused. By the time I went through one of my portals to get away from it, it was so close. I had to close the portal immediately after me and the tail of the scythe was sacrificed for it. Now, the tail of it looks like a miniature black fork. In retrospect, it's funny because it's my fault I had the close call in the first place." He says.

I look at him worriedly. "I saw you with another guy. You had similar wedding bands with one half of a broken heart on them on your left hands. You both kissed each other so deeply it's as if you knew that it was the end. When I first got in the dimensions, I'd whip the scythe across the sky. I did that in that dimension too but I missed you and..." He looks at me with sorrow painting his face. I massage my small, lean fingers through his smooth black hair and give him a long smooch on the lips. "It's alright. I'm right here with you, now." I say and he pulls me into an embrace as sleep temporarily steals me away.