Chapter 9: Nine Months

It has been nine months of love and bliss. Of course, my husband and I could not be with each other every waking moment of the day. He still had to run his market shop. I am not bored at home either. I watch our investment stocks and every week he gives me money toward a stock he wants to invest in. I debrief him on its performance and we decide if we should keep it or sell it. Team work! He has been closing down the shop at ten instead of twelve in the morning. I know he's doing it to spend more time with me and the baby. All of our bills are paid and we have extra money to cushion any curve balls that may arise. This is what every woman dreams of : financial security and a mate that understands the importance of it.

At twenty seven years old, I left my family back in the states. I thought I would be some natural health doctor with a dog and a cat in a little apartment, but my fate had different plans for me. I haven't told my family about the marriage or my baby boy that's on the way. I don't want that toxicity in my life anymore and I think it is best that my son grow up without knowing them.

Since COVID-19 isn't gone in the year, two thousand twenty two, I've decided to have a natural birth with the help of a midwife. She will have on a hazmat suit and double gloves during the whole procedure. I'm confident that this will be a smooth delivery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Day of Birth:

"Breathe and push, Asher. You're doing well. I can see the crown." Mrs. Ellington told me. When I called her and my husband, he ran up stairs and left his cousins to run the shop. Mrs. Ellington told him to fill a kid size pool with water. Now, I'm shivering in a small pool with a thin white sleeping gown and nothing else on underneath. I feel like a wet black cat and the gown is like a soggy sponge on my body. Ugh! It feels icky. I give another push after a series of breaths and the baby comes out. She snips the umbelical chord connection to him and lets me hold him. I cradle him in my arms and kiss his pasty forehead.

"Okay, Asher give the baby to your husband. You have to push out the placenta." Mrs. Ellington says. After another series of breathing and pushing the placenta comes out. "I'm going to send your placenta off to be dried and put into tablets. I want you to take those tablets as soon as they arrive until they are gone. One per day. Now let me teach you how to latch him on for breast feeding."

She gives my baby to me in a sky blue bundle. He coos and moves around before she brings him to my chest. He latches on. I can't believe it. I thought I was going to be like one of those past reality stars, that couldn't get their baby to latch on. I guess I'm on of the lucky ones. I smile and look at my husband. He kneels beside us and kiss us on the cheek. "What do you want to call him?" My husband asks. "I want his English name to be: "Air." Since air comes with the weather and the sky." I say. I know I sound like a hippie right now but the air does remind me of the sky and his father is the god of: storms and chaos. "Okay." He says and gives me a toothy smile.