epilogue

♡ ♡ ♡

♡ ♡ ♡

A L I S O N

Eight years later

I let the hot and pleasant wind of late June caress my skin as I walk through Central Park, feeling the sunlight awakening my entire body. The birds are singing and the trees leaves dance with the weather.

A couple is holding hands near the Bethesda fountain, lots of kids running around and playing with their boats in the water, and I can't help but smile at the sight. I sit on the bench next to a massive tree and take a sip of the coffee it's on my hands that I buy every day from a lovely food truck.

It's a stunning Saturday morning and I couldn't be happier from being up this soon.

A ring comes from the pocket of my dark high-waisted mom jeans and when I see who's calling, the smile I had on doesn't fade.

"Hey girl!" My voice tone is loud and vivid as Emma's face appears the exact moment I press accept on the screen, her daily facetime making my heart warm. A white eyeliner highlights her chocolate eyes and her freckles frame her nose and cheeks perfectly. Her hair is much longer than mine now and it's up in a messy bun.

"Hey, Ali! Sorry for calling now, I always forget it's still 7:30 am where you are." I let out a chuckle while murmuring 'it's fine', knowing that in New York no one ever sleeps and there's always something to do.

The fact that my best friend is living in Italy for over six months now makes my heart tight and I miss her presence each day I wake up when I realize she's no longer my roommate, but seeing that she's happy and following her dreams, makes it more bearable.

Emma Sparks is working in a huge fashion company in Milan as their marketing assistant and soon enough she'll be directing the entire department. She combined business with pleasure when her fiancé Cody, yes my bestie is engaged to her high-school boyfriend, got a position to work as a lawyer in a big Italian firm.

"How are you, girl? Excited to start working as a field reporter?" The mention of my upcoming job makes butterflies play in my stomach but despite the nervousness, I nod at my friend.

After senior year, I've decided to apply to NYU in Journalism, and now four years since I've finished my graduation, I finally secured a place as a reporter in CNN. I know it's a big deal and I never thought I would love the field I work in but I'm so excited about what the future holds.

I know Tristan would be proud of me if we still talked and my heart tightens at the thought of him. That day in the airport was beautiful but we soon discovered that loving each other like lovers and still being friends doesn't work.