09: last summer night

♡ ♡ ♡

♡ ♡ ♡

A L I S O N

"I'll miss the whole Junior year! Why do you need to ruin everything? Things are already bad enough!" I screamed at both of them, my voice cracking at the end and I lost no time in making my way to the door, my heart slamming against my chest.

I had to get out of there.

"Alison Kate Lawrence!" My dad tried to call me, his voice echoing through the house but I didn't listen. All I wanted was to vanish.

I ran as fast as I could without looking back, the warm wind from the summer night hitting me. The only place I managed to think as I walked was an old park where I used to play with Caroline and Scott. In there, I could be alone from everything and everyone.

The stars were bright against the deep blue sky and as I stared at them, all I wished was to have my life back. 

I let out a deep breath before sitting down on the iron swing in front of me, the thin fabric of my dress not protecting me from the cold. The playground was almost terrifying at that time of the day but I wasn't afraid. I grew up in that neighborhood and most of the good memories I had from Scott took place in this exact place.

"Look who we have here," a voice from behind me spoke, caressing my neck and I froze, my heart that was almost back to a normal pace now slamming against my chest.

I knew that gentle tone and I didn't want to face him out of school so soon.

"Hello Scott," I whispered to my ex-boyfriend as I got up to face him. He was wearing a plain white shirt, blue shorts, and tennis. His light brown hair was messy just how I used to like and his blue eyes were scanning me. He was as handsome as always and it made my heart skip a beat.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, trying so hard not let him see how much he affected me. There was an awkward silence between us and it hurt to think that we were only strangers now.

"I should ask you the same." He smirked afterwards, his perfectly white teeth making my cheeks flush. I thanked God that it was dark or else I would've died of embarrassment. 

"Family problems, you?" I mumbled in the exact moment so he couldn't ask anything else about what truly happened and why I was in the middle of the night in a playground.

"I was exercising around here." He shruged his shoulders and again, no one said a thing. We were carefully choosing our words, not sure how the other would react to a single mention of what happened between us.

"So..." He finally started it, my hands trembling from whatever he was about to say and I tried so hard to calm down but it was useless, he meant the world to me.

"I want to tell you that I hadn't forgiven you yet," 

My heart sank when I heard what he had to say and I fought back so hard the tears that were threatening to fall. I didn't know what I expected and I was such a fool to think that after everything that happened we still had a future together.