Chapter 11- The Explosion

Annika's POV:

As soon as I was buckled into my seat, Madame gave me something to take, which forced me into sleep.

When I awoke, I was strapped to a chair, in one of the interrogation rooms.

Glancing around, I saw a variety of torture instruments, as well as different technology that I didn't recognize.

Madame stepped in, a hard look on her face.

"What is one of the main rules here?" She asked, and I kept my head lowered out of respect.

"No attachments," I replied simply, and she smacked me across the face.

"So why did you break that?"

"I didn't," I replied, getting another smack.

"If you didn't, you would have killed the Parker boy without another thought. You have become soft. You have come to a point where you are not useful. Do you know what we will do?" She asked, picking up various things.

"Kill me?" I asked, and she let out a laugh.

"Oh no, you are much too useful for that. We are going to wipe you back to your last functioning point. But you will be taught a lesson first." She said, before doing exactly that.

I am not certain how long they tortured me for.

Healing quickly was in the serum, but I couldn't heal that quickly.

I would fade in and out of consciousness, wondering how many times they had mind wiped me before, simply without my knowledge of it.

It must have been often.

I remembered more about Lada, the girl from my dream from one of my first nights in the States.

She had always been real, but they had wiped her away, because I was attached.

To be the perfect weapon, there could be no attachments.

They always created a bias, which would make one very weak.

There were two others like her.

Once I realized I was being wiped, I could target areas of my memory, and remember things they had forced me to forget.

I remembered Mila, and Nina, two girls from when I was much younger.

We had formed attachments. 

And I killed them both, same as Lada.

There were other things too, although many of them were simply fractions of memories. 

A man with a metal arm was in many of them, although I did not know who he was.

But he was very good at fighting, that much I knew.

He was a training exercise.

Whoever he was.

As time went on, I got more and more beaten up, passing out more often than not.

I woke up after a particularly bad attack with lots of commotion, and Galina was hacking into the computer connected to my chair, soon releasing me.

I almost collapsed as it stopped holding me up, but she caught me, handing me a backpack.

"Annika, there is an uprising in the Red Room. Everyone is attacking each other. You and Miss Romanoff need to get out of here while you can." She said, helping me out of the room.

Even though I was in incredible amounts of pain, I focused on her, and started to walk on my own, following her.

She handed me a handgun, and I shot anyone who got in our way, as she lead me down the hall to another room.