Chapter 16- Seeing A Person

AN: So really quick, I just realized that you might be pronouncing her name wrong. The name I picked was An-ee-ka. That's how the name would be pronounced with a Russian accent. Just so you know!

I spent the rest of the day doing tests for classes, flying through them from memory.

We had all finished dinner, and I had gone back to my room, sitting by the window again.

The sun had already set, and the lights were coming on along the street.

There was a knock at the door, and I turned, curious who it was.

"Come in," I called, and Tony stepped in, walking over to me.

"Hey kiddo," he said, sitting on the chair that was beside the floor I was sitting.

"I realized that it might have seemed like you didn't really have a choice if you actually wanted to go to school. I want you to know, that you have a choice now. If you don't want to do something you don't have to." He said, watching my expression carefully.

I nodded, and he smiled.

"I also uh, got you this," he said, before holding out a cell phone.

"I already loaded my number, as well as many of the other people living here, if you should need help as well as just for talking to friends. You have unlimited data, so feel free to google whatever you desire. Just to be honest, there is a tracking device in it. It is not to control you, it is to know if you were ever to get in a situation where you would need help. If it is important to you I could disable it." Tony said, rambling on slightly.

"I understand the need for the tracker," I replied, and he nodded.

It was one of the newest phones, with the back of it being a shiny gold.

It had a clear case on it, to keep the phone from breaking.

"Thank you, for being so generous with me," I said, and he gave me a soft smile.

"I am one of the richest people in the world. I think I can spare a little for my daughter," he said, a  small chuckle escaping.

"If there is ever anything you need, don't be afraid to ask," he said, as if he was getting ready to leave.

"Maria, your mother whom I was named after, what was she like?" I asked as he was moving, and he stopped, sitting back down and smiling.

"She always was stubborn, no matter what it was. However, she was kind, and very loving to me. She always seemed to know when something was wrong, no matter how much you tried to mask your feelings. She-" his voice caught, and I could tell that he was trying as best as he could to not be emotional.

"I'm sorry. I was just curious," I said softly, wishing that one day I could care that much about someone.

"No, you deserve to know. I just, wasn't expecting it." Tony replied, collecting himself.

"Is it okay if I talk about her another time?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Thank you. You should get some sleep for school. Goodnight Annika. Thank you for coming here."

***

I woke up the next morning, the cool of the window creeping through again.

"Good morning miss. You have two hours until you leave for school." FRIDAY called out, and I nodded.

"Thank you," I replied, standing and stretching.