Chapter 26- I'm Free

I was there a few weeks before I saw anyone I recognized, falling into the comforting rhythm of the nation.

As everyday, I was starting my day by training with the Dora, the exercise of both the mind and body calming.

"Excuse me Okoye," Shuri said, and we all paused, waiting for the next command.

Looking over at Shuri, I saw that she was not alone.

Yelena and Natalia were both with her, dressed in very casual clothes.

From Yelena's fidgeting, I guess that both had all weapons removed.

Okoye walked over, and I stood in ready position, waiting.

"Annika," she commanded, and I straightened, walking over.

"It is good to see you," Yelena said warmly, patting my arm.

Outside of my training, I had little to do with the assassin, as we would never work together.

I nodded, turning to Natalia.

"I'm sorry that I got you caught. That you had to go through that again," she said softly, watching me carefully.

"That was part of the mission. I heard that you succeeded in killing Draykov, as well as freeing the young widows," I replied, and she nodded.

"That is actually why we are here. As we are going around trying to round up all the widows, we are very rapidly realizing that they are very dangerous people. We need somewhere that we can free them, teach them how to be people without them hurting anyone," Natalia said, turning back to Okoye and Shuri.

"You are hoping to bring them here?" Shuri said, a small smile on her face.

"We get that it is a huge undertaking, and we'll pay whatever you need. We just need somewhere where they can not hurt anyone. And where if they try, they will not get very far," Yelena added, glancing between the two women.

"I will have to talk to my brother," Shuri said, keeping her simple smile on her face.

"What is your plan for the girls after they have been, rehabilitated?" Okoye asked, her gaze harsh.

I had noticed over the past couple of weeks her getting very protective as she learned more about my past.

"Try to get them into society. They are incredibly intelligent and lots of them already have medical training. They could be doctors, or scientists or anything they truly put their minds to," Natalia said, and Okoye smiled.

It was a small smile, she rarely fully smiled, but it was a smile.

"Good. They should not have to fight after what they have been through," her gaze very briefly flitted to mine, before turning back.

"We will only allow them here if you never use them as your own personal weapons," she said harshly, and they both nodded.

"If the girls choose to not be quite done, the only thing they will be doing is helping up hunt down their sisters. Help them the way they will have been helped," Natalia answered quickly, Yelena nodding.

"Well it appears I have to talk to my brother," Shuri said, beckoning for the two women to follow her.

They paused, looking at me.

"You were allowed in for a business conversation ma'am's. You will leave her alone as she trains,"
Shuri said, and they glanced at me one more time before following her.

***

Usually after lessons I would be permitted to shower before spending time with Shuri.