Chapter 12, Part 1

Ariella's P. O. V:

I step between two high walls of rock with Arthur, Merlin and a few other knights, Arthur and I holding a crossbow while Merlin carries the bait. We were on a hunting trip at the moment, and I stand between Merlin and one of the other knights.

 We were on a hunting trip at the moment, and I stand between Merlin and one of the other knights

We stop as the sound of a twig snapping catches our attention. Arthur holds up his hand for us to halt before he begins moving once more, and the rest of us follow him. We stop again beside a forest wall, covered in leaves and vines.

Then, Arthur makes the hand gesture for one of his knights to go around one way, and the second knight to go around the other, in order to cut off the creature we're tracking.

The knights nod their heads in understanding before leaving for their positions.

Arthur whispers to us, "Merlin! Ari!" He jerks his chin in a gesture for us to move closer.

Merlin asks in a whisper, "What is it?"

"I don't know," Arthur murmurs. "We'll surround it." He looks at us as he adds, "I want you and Ari to go in there, and flush it out."

I nod my head as Merlin asks fearfully, another twig cracking in the distance, "You want us to go in there?! You just said you don't know what it is! It could be dangerous!"

"Let's hope so!" Arthur says, patting him on the shoulder, before pushing Merlin forward.

As Arthur takes up his position on higher ground, Merlin and I walk cautiously toward our target, our footsteps slow and deliberate. As we near the target, Merlin finds a large, thick stick to use as a weapon, while I prepare my crossbow, hearing another cracking twig.

We stalk closer to our target, but what we saw when it came into view was not at all what we were expecting. An awed expression settles on my and Merlin's faces as we stand before a beautiful white unicorn, with a silver mane and tail, and of course, a horn that glints in the sun.

I couldn't believe my eyes!

As if in a trance, Merlin and I slowly drop our weapons and step over to the unicorn. I go to reach out my hand to pet it, remembering the time when I first saw a unicorn while out hunting with Eric and daddy, when I was nine years old. Back then, I'd wandered off and found a unicorn in a sunlit clearing, and it had let me go right up to it and pet it.