Chapter 51, Part 1

Songs used:

Go The Distance by Roger Bart from Disney's Hercules

Ariella's P. O. V:

I wear my knight uniform and my hair in twin braids that tie down the middle of my head with the rest of my hair loose as I ride with Merlin and Arthur on a hunt, the King riding ahead of us.

Beside me, Merlin sneezes. He asks Arthur, "You're still angry with me, aren't you?"

"We spend the entire day hunting, catch nothing, because anytime we got anywhere near anything, you sneeze and frighten it away."

Merlin reminds him, "Not the last time!"

"No, that time you fell into a stream," I say, grinning at my husband.

"No one could accuse you of being predictable, Merlin," Arthur mutters, making me giggle.

"I think I'm getting a cold," Merlin says, and I gaze at him in concern.

"Let's hope it's a bad one," Arthur mutters.

Just then, we hear what sounds like a woman screaming.

"What was that?" I ask.

"I think that was a bird," Merlin says, gazing behind him.

The scream came again, and I ask, "That? That was definitely a woman, screaming."

Arthur and I dismount and we unsheath our swords as the King races off in the direction of the scream.

Merlin asks in exasperation, "Why couldn't it have just been a bird? Never just a bird!"

I roll my eyes as he dismounts and say as I grab Merlin's arm, "Come on!" We then race after Arthur and meet him behind a tree.

Drums roll in the distance as a crowd of people head to a pyre, an old woman being carried as she screams. Heart racing, I dash forward as Arthur demands and Merlin rushes after me, "What are you two doing?"

"I assume you want to risk our lives to see what's going on," I respond as Arthur joins us.

"You're learning, Ari!" Arthur says, touching my arm before racing on ahead, Merlin and I following. We reach the villagers and sheath our weapons just as an old man was about to light the post the old woman is tied to. "Let the woman go!"

"This woman has been sentenced to death," The old man says. "It does not concern you!"

 "It does not concern you!"