Chapter 22, Part 2

Ariella's P. O. V:

I was surprised, to say the least, when Merlin came to get me and told me Arthur's plan to sneak out and see Morgause for the challenge she'd set him, despite the fact Uther has grounded him.

As Merlin was talking, I couldn't help but wonder why he appears bigger in the belly. But I agreed to come with them and help them. After donning my armor and tying my hair in a braid, packing my saddlebags and strapping my sword to my waist, I follow Merlin to Arthur's room, where there were guards posted outside.

As we enter Arthur's room, he's sitting on his bed, Merlin announces as he shows him the bag and says, "I've got the supplies."

Arthur asks, staring at Merlin's large belly, "Merlin, is it my imagination, or are you getting fat?"

I say, "I was wondering the same thing earlier."

Merlin looks down and dumps his bag before lifting up his blue shirt. Arthur and I grin slightly when we see that there's rope wrapped all the way around Merlin's belly. How he was able to walk with that thing is beyond me.

Merlin and I pull black leather gloves on our hands and I stand behind him as we both hold the rope at one end, while Arthur grips the other

Merlin and I pull black leather gloves on our hands and I stand behind him as we both hold the rope at one end, while Arthur grips the other. We flex the rope as Arthur pauses, before he opens his window. He peers out of it, the night wind blowing at his hair.

Arthur pulls his head back in and looks back at us as he asks uncertainly, and we tighten our grip on the rope, making sure our feet are planted firmly in place, "Are you two sure you're strong enough to hold me?"

"Yeah! We're stronger than we look!" Merlin and I say in unison.

Arthur hops onto the window sill and glances back at us for a second, before he suddenly drops down

Arthur hops onto the window sill and glances back at us for a second, before he suddenly drops down. The sudden weight causes our eyes to jerk wide as Merlin and I grunt in surprise and slight pain, the rope sliding through our hands rapidly, as Arthur slides down at the wall.

When the rope reaches its end in my hands, we grunt at the unexpected pull, and struggle to keep our hold on the rope. I was struggling a little more than Merlin, though, and my arms tremble.