Chapter 41, Part 2

Pic above is Alator—->

Ariella's P. O. V:

After I'd finished feeding Luna and cooking dinner, I'd offered Gwaine some while he was here, which he'd accepted, and I'd started feeding Mira her own dinner while Gwaine throws a small ball up and down in his hand.

When Gwaine had tried to pat Luna, she'd scratched his hand and sauntered off to my bed chambers, bushy tail held high, almost in indignation. It would seem as though she really does still remember her first meeting with the knight, a year ago, and holds a grudge against him.

She's a very prideful cat, despite her tendency to sleep all day.

Just as I was finishing feeding Mira, Gwaine's own empty bowl on the table, the ball bouncing up and down in his hand, the door opens to reveal Merlin. He looks from Gwaine to me as he demands, "What's he doing here?"

"He was bored playing soldiers and came to see how we were doing," I answer, using the Knight's exact words. "Dinner's ready if you want any."

"Not hungry. I'm busy," Was all my husband replies with as he shuts the door and takes off the bag from the hook, before he goes to sit at the work bench.

"Doing what?" Gwaine asks.

"What do you think?

Merlin takes out a book on different types of dirt as he holds his finger up to the candle light. That's when I notice a strange dirt on his fingertip.

"Looking for Gaius?" Gwaine questions.

"I know everyone thinks he's a traitor, but he's not! He's been abducted, Gwaine! He may even be dead," Merlin says.

"By the bad man!" Mira chimes, glaring no doubt at the memory of Agravaine. As Gwaine chuckles, Merlin barely even smiles at her.

I say to him mentally, "Gaius is still alive." This causes the warlock to stare at me with twist eyes. "I saw him with Morgana and a Priest in a cave, somewhere, through my scrying crystal. I don't know where exactly, though."

Merlin gives me a grateful expression before he goes back to whatever he's studying.

"I guess you don't want our help, then," Says Gwaine flippantly.

Merlin pauses for a long moment before he asks us, holding out his dirt covered thumb, "Do either of you know what this is?"

"Might do," Says Gwaine as he and I get up, going up to the warlock. "Here, let us see."

I swipe some of the reddish coloured dirt on Merlin's finger as Gwaine does the same, and sniff its strong scent, though I don't recognise it.

I sit on Merlin's other side, wiping the dirt off on a cloth, as Gwaine states, "That's iron ore. Where'd you find this?"