four

"Do you follow him?" Kiku asked you as the both of you walked into the school grounds together. Since the weekend had ended, you'd discovered that Kiku walked to the same road to get to school, so you had started walking to school together.

'Him' could only be one person, and this case was no exception - Suna Rintarou, the boy you had somehow become entangled with despite being the new girl at Inarizaki High.

You shook your head. "And I have no intention of following him, either."

"Oh come on! Some of his pics are so hot."

You chuckled as Kiku's expression turned dreamy, her mind obviously wandering. She was probably thinking about Suna, you realized. You felt a warmth to your face as your mind strayed to his piercings, his tattoos, the dragon on his shoulder.

Suddenly, Kiku stopped in her tracks after taking one look at your face.

"Y/n, you're blushing."

After school, you got a phone call. It was from an old friend, one who you went to school with before you moved cities with your family. 

Your phone vibrated, the screen showing the contact name and two buttons, one red and one green. After hesitating, you pressed the green one, picking up the phone.

"Kaashi? What do you need?"

A boy's nonchalant voice spoke into your ear through the phone speaker. "We need to talk. Are you out of school?"

You glanced at Kiku, who you had planned to walk home with. "Yeah, but I'm not catching the train to see you, 'Kaashi. I have a life, you know."

He didn't laugh at your attempt at a joke. You came to the realization that whatever he needed to talk to you about, it was serious.

Rubbing your forehead, you spoke again. "Are you in my region or something? Do I really need to come over to see you? It's that urgent?"

"Sorry. It is that urgent. The next train is in ten minutes - can you make it?"

You sighed, checking your watch. 4:50pm. Your pockets jangled with the coins you were going to spend at the corner store on meat buns, but now you sighed, realizing you'd have to use them for the train ticket.

"Yeah. Guess I'm missing school tomorrow." An apologetic silence crackled on the other end of the line. "Well, I guess I'll see you soon, then. Pick me up from the station, will ya?"

You hung up and made an apologetic face at your friend. "Sorry, Kiku. I don't know what's come up, but it must be bad... That was my old friend, from Fukurodani. I've gotta go." Apologizing again and again, you parted ways with Kiku, walking backwards and waving to her for a while before you turned around and started running towards the station.

You boarded the 5 o'clock train heading to Tokyo. It would take around half an hour to reach Tokyo by bullet train, so you settled yourself down for the journey.

With no money left for food, your stomach grumbled. You frowned, thinking about how inconvenient this spontaneous meeting with your old friends was, and how hungry you were. However, it did give you time to finish your homework.

At 5:33pm, your train reached your destination, causing you to pack up your homework book and exit the train. 

It took a while for him to find you, but eventually your eyes met; his short black hair was as wavy as ever and it bounced in the breeze. His expression was serious, but that was his natural resting face so you didn't read much into it. He jogged towards you, smiling at you briefly in greeting.

"I'm sorry to call you out here so suddenly, but we really need to talk. Come on, Bokuto's waiting in the car."

Disgruntled as you were, you were still happy to see your old friends. You let Akaashi Keiji, 2nd year student at Fukurodani High, lead you to Bokuto's car, where the gray-haired boy grinned at you from behind the wheel.

"Y/n! Good to see you, despite the circumstances."

You frowned at his greeting, confused by his words. "The circumstances?"

"Akaashi! You haven't told her yet?!" Bokuto exclaimed, staring at his best friend with disbelief, to which Akaashi responded with a shrug.

"It's good to see you guys," you murmured happily, forgetting your hunger and exhaustion.

Bokuto Koutarou's house was empty as his parents were working and his two older sisters had already left home. He served you a pre-cooked meal of noodles and sat you down at his dining table, both of your friends silent about what "circumstances" you had been called to Tokyo for.

You opened your mouth to ask a question, but Akaashi interrupted you before you could.

"Konoha should be here any minute, and then we can talk."

Puzzled but intrigued, you let Bokuto serve you dinner, happily filling your empty stomach while your friends stared at each other, serious expressions plastered on their faces.

A knock on the door interrupted the tense silence in the room. Both Akaashi and Bokuto stood, Akaashi motioning for the host to sit down, saying, "I'll get it".

Moments later, Konoha steps into the dining room, still in his school uniform.

"You just got back from the scene?" Bokuto asked nonchalantly while Akaashi pulled out a chair for the boy. You noticed that he was limping.

"Yeah," Konoha replied. "It's still rough out there."

For the first time, your old friend looked at you, recognizing you immediately. A weak smile split across his face.

"Welcome back, Y/n. We missed you ever since you moved away. Sorry we only met again under strained circumstances..."

Once again, you were left without explanation.

As soon as you had finished eating, Bokuto took your plate away and placed it in the sink. "We'll talk to you about what exactly the situation is, now, Y/n," he told you, turning on the water and scrubbing your plate clean. "Akaashi, can you tell her?"

The black-haired male leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. "Y/n, this won't be easy to hear, but the Tokyo high school gangs have broken out into fighting."

a/n++

hmmm, i wonder why they would involve you in all this business with fighting and all that? what could your past possibly be? and what does this have to do with suna and inarizaki? hmmmmmmmmm... the plot is thickening....

qotd: what's a song that reminds you of bokuaka? for me, it's either the one that got away (sorry for all who've gone through reading in another life, it broke me too), or my kind of woman by mac demarco. that's my favourite song, its so beautiful and lyrical... hbu?