chapter forty-one ✔️

katie porter- march 7, 2020 -

katie porter
- march 7, 2020 -

WHY I WAS THE NERVOUS one, I'd never understand. Elisha stood in front of the doors of the bakery talking to people and handing out flyers while Max and I continued with the last-minute items. He moved slower than usual, but he kept a smile. It was kind of incredible that he could. You'd never know that just two weeks ago he had to have a tube shoved down his throat just to be able to breathe.

            It was true then. His bad days were really bad. I understood the doctors, had I not been there, I never would have known that he was even sick. I kept glancing over at him every couple of seconds just to make sure he was still standing.

            His eyes caught mine, "I'm fine, Katie."

            I looked away, straightening a pile of flyers, "I know. I keep telling myself that, but it came on so suddenly. How do we know you're actually okay?"

            "We don't," he sighed, "but until we figure out what's wrong, I want to live like I'm perfectly healthy and I can only do that if you stop looking at me like I'm going to drop dead at any minute."

            "It's hard knowing that you might—" A knock on the back door cut me off, "Damn it."

            He laughed, "Saved by the bell."

            I sent a pointed look at Max. This conversation wasn't over. He didn't have to see Elisha in the emergency room, shattered to pieces. And, I wouldn't know how to pull her back from the edge if something happened to him.

            Pulling open the door, Jackson stood with a smile, "I'm not late, am I?"

            "Right on time actually."

            By the time we put Jackson's stuff in the back room and came out front, Max was outside with his arm around Elisha. We could hear her thanking everyone for their donations and for the support. How she was overjoyed that the community came together to keep the Sunshine Bakery open and thriving.

            Ushering Jackson behind the counter, I tossed an apron in his direction. We tied them around ourselves and washed our hands just in time for Elisha to open the doors to the public. She smiled over at Max, but I could still see the worry in her eyes. He sent her a wink and all the worry I saw disappeared. It was incredible. The way they were able to speak with each other without saying a single word.

            Elisha rounded the counter and placed a hand on Jackson's arm to get his attention, "Thank you for all your help. I just wanted to catch you and tell you that I really do appreciate it."

            "Don't thank me yet," he smiled. "We still have all these people to help."

            She laughed, "I have a feeling you'll do just fine there, Shakespeare." She winked at him.