chapter thirty-one ✔️

januarie robinson- june 4, 2019 -

januarie robinson
- june 4, 2019 -

MY HAND SHOT OUT FROM underneath my pillow and slammed against the top of my alarm clock. I know for sure that I didn't set that thing to go off at 5 o'clock in the morning. I twisted in my sheets and pulled them over the top of my head. I'd be damned if I was getting up now. On today of all days.

            The door to my bedroom flew open and although I couldn't see her, I knew without a doubt in my mind it was Nora. I cursed her in my head and before I could get a firm grip, she grabbed ahold of all the blankets and ripped them off of me.

            My pajamas, which consisted of shorts and an old Jaws t-shirt, were not meant for the chilly morning air. Hell, I wasn't built for the chilly morning air. She plopped down next to me and didn't say a word. When I couldn't take it any longer, I peeked through my fingers to find her smiling at me with that devilish grin of hers.

            Sometimes, she reminded me far too much of Victoria and the last thing I needed in my life was two Victorias.

            "What do you want?" I grumbled through my hands. Everyone who knew what today was usually left me alone. I was possibly the only person in the Robinson family tree who didn't celebrate their birthday. Not since dad passed.

            "I'm not watching you do this again." She grabbed my shoulder and shook me hard, "I need you to get up and get dressed. And, dress warm."

            I groaned, "Why?"

            "Because I'm not going to let my happy, bubbly friend be grumpy today."

            "I'm grumpy one day a year," I growled and turned over. "Can't I have that? Can't I have one day to be angry at the world?" I grabbed my pillow and flipped it over my head.

            She ripped the pillow back and jumped from the bed, "Sure. You can have tomorrow. But today, you've got to get up and get dressed."

            "Fine," I rolled over and glared at her, "but don't expect me to be happy and go lucky."

            Leaning against the door frame, she hugged the pillow to her chest, "Maybe I should call Lucas. I'm sure he'd be more than thrilled to get a call from you at five in the morning."

            "You wouldn't dare."

            Nora smiled and raised a brow. She stood there in her patchwork cardigan and skinny jeans, "Are you really willing to risk it?"

            We stared each other down for a few seconds before I broke. Huffing, I rolled to the edge of my bed, "Fine. You win."

            She beamed a smile, "thank you. We have about ten minutes before we have to leave."