chapter twenty-nine ✔️

katie porter- february 8, 2020 -

katie porter
- february 8, 2020 -

            "TELL ME WHY THEY CALL it this again? Seems sadder than a singled-out magpie." Ann-Marie scanned the banquet hall. Two students were hanging up a banner that read 'Lonely-Hearts Auction'.

            "It's supposed to be a nod to The Beatles song Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club."

            "And the baskets?"

            I laughed, "People buy them and when the auction is over, the owner of the basket and the person who made it kind of go on these dates together."

            Jackson walked by and tipped his head, "His arms were full of boxes balancing on top of each other, "Ladies."

            He wore a large smile that complimented his bright eyes perfectly. The black tie he wore fit him perfectly, but he was missing the suit jacket. His sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. Stepping up to one of the large tables, he started to unpack the boxes full of different baskets.

            Ann-Marie leaned down to whisper in my ear. I pulled my eyes from Jackson's back and looked at her stunned, "What'd you say?"

            She laughed, her hand going to her stomach, "I said, who's that?"

            "Oh," I shook my head, trying to get it to focus. I started to pull baggies of desserts out of different bins. I fanned them out and scattered them around the table, "That's Jackson Montgomery. He's the facility advisor for the Poetry Club."

            "Kind of a looking, ain't he?" We both turned to look at him. He put out another basket before putting the boxes under the table and moving to one of the poetry students.

            "Yeah, I admitted with a shrug of my shoulder, "you could say that. Now help me with this sign, will you?"

            She rolled her eyes, but grabbed the other side of the banner so we could tack it up. We pulled off our heels and climbed the ladders, hanging the banner across the back of our booth.

            Standing back, we took a look at our work. Cookies and different desserts laid across the table. The banner was straight and we hung a poster with all the information about the bakery. Just looking at the banner made me excited.

            SAVE THE SUNSHINE

            What a slogan. It was happy and bouncy and it made you want to do something. No one ever wanted the sunshine to go out.

            "YOU GUYS WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO be the bakery that was at the market last month, would you?" A blond man asked, looking over the different food. He read the banner and smiled to himself.