chapter thirty-five ✔️

katie porter- february 22, 2020 -

katie porter
- february 22, 2020 -

PULLING MY PURSE HIGH ON my shoulder, I turned to look at myself in the shop window. Everything felt different now. I still walked to the strip mall past Main Street, but the ability to drive was right there. Right at my fingertips. Jackson and I'd been on a couple more lessons by then, but I don't think I'd be able to do it by myself any time soon.

            I had about just enough time to hit one more store before making the walk back to the apartments. A voice called me from down the sidewalk. Painting a smile on my face, I turned towards the sounds.

            "Katie!" Melissa waved; Caleb's hands clasped with hers, "How's the shop doing?"

            My eyes moved from their hands to her face. I pulled out my phone and sent a quick text before putting it back in my pocket, "Oh good. Elisha said we're really close now."

            "That's great," her hand rested on Caleb's arm and he stiffened. Her brows furrowed, but she barely spared him a worried glance, "Anyways, we were just about to head to dinner. Date night and all that. What are your plans tonight?"

            I smiled, "Oh, yeah. Same here, he's just running a little late."

            "Wonderful! We'll all have to get dinner together sometime!"

            Caleb's eyes bounced between Melissa and I, "You're going on a date?"

            "Yeah."

            "With who?" Caleb didn't hide his feelings very well. His jaw clenched and I watched as he pulled Melissa closer to him. She smiled at the gesture and wrapped her arms around him. It took everything in me not to roll my eyes.

            "He's a literature professor at the college. Really nice guy."

            Melissa wiggled her brows at me, "A professor. How fancy," she squealed. "Where'd you meet?"

            I laughed, "Actually, it was at The Corner Bar... On my birthday. And you know what they say, the rest is history."

            Pulling up to the curb, Jackson flipped up the visor of his helmet and gestured in his direction. I waved to Caleb and Melissa and jobbed over to him. He held out a helmet and winked at me.

            "Ya need a ride there, Doll?" I put the helmet on and before I could even try the straps, Jackson reached over with his gloves and secured the helmet into place. I straddled the back of the bike and wrapped my hands around his abdomen. Revving the engine, the both of us laughed and he pulled onto the street.

            Zooming through the streets, I tightened my grip as he whipped between cars. We leaned together around curves and he stopped on a hill outside of town, just passed the one he'd help me home from. We climbed off the bike and put our helmets on the handle bars.