chapter twenty ✔️

katie porter- january 29, 2020 -

katie porter
- january 29, 2020 -

JUMPING FROM THE COUCH, I put the phone to my ear with a smile on my face, "Hey." My breath caught in my throat. His voice was almost intoxicating. I almost melted back into my seat... Almost.

            "Hey," I breathed, "are you almost ready?"

            "Katie," My heart dropped into my stomach. I knew that voice. I knew it. "I'm so sorry."

            "What is it this time?"

            "Melissa has this important faculty dinner tonight. It was kind of a last-minute thing. I couldn't get out of it."

            "Of course, you can't, Caleb. You never can. I think it's time for you to figure yourself out a little bit." I cleared my throat. I wasn't going to cry. Not while I was on the phone. Not on my birthday, "I really like you. I just don't know how to handle this. It's my birthday and you planned this. You planned it and now you want to cancel."

            "Katie, I am sorry."

            "No, Caleb. You're not sorry. If you were, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You're a selfish child who can't make up his mind."

            "I know I've made some mistakes, but it's not all bad. We've been good."

            A muffled voice slipped through the phone, "I'll be there in a minute."

            "This has been good, hasn't it?" He asked.

            I sighed, "Yes, it's been good. Being with you feels right. I think this is right. I think we're right... Don't you?"

            "More right than anything I've ever felt, Katie. There's something about me and you that's easy. We click. Kind of like puzzle pieces. You know?"

            "What about Melissa? If we're so right, why don't you break up with her?"

            "Katie..." he breathed, "Melissa and I... We've been together for a long time. It's not something you just randomly bring up in conversation."

            "Sure, you do. You just say you're not working anymore. That you're not happy. That you don't feel the way you used to."

            "I don't want to hurt her."

            "Hurt her?" I sucked in a breath, "What about if you're hurting me? What then? Just out of curiosity. Did you ever think about me in this situation?"

            He didn't speak for a long moment, "No."

            I let a laugh escape me. It was dry and humorless, "Of course you didn't. I don't know why I let you hurt me over and over again. I hope you and Melissa have a wonderful night, Caleb. Don't expect to hear from me for a while."