chapter five ✔️

katie porter- january 2, 2020 -

katie porter
- january 2, 2020 -

"WHAT ARE WE DOING CALEB?" The chill nipped at our noses and snow drifted down from a cloud covered sky. This town hardly got snow and when it did, it was gone by lunchtime the next day.

Caleb glanced down, just under the rim of his glasses. His lips tipped up at the corners before breaking into a grin, "Walking. I thought you'd be familiar with the concept."

Rolling my eyes, I pushed his shoulder, "Shut up."

He tipped his head back and laughed. His laugh was like summer and sunsets all rolled into one. One of those days that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

I bristled and sighed inside. I wanted my brain to let him go. I didn't want to think about him anymore. Every time I saw something to do with that dumb Star Trek, I thought of him. It was something I'd never been into, but since Caleb and I met, I've seen every movie and episode of the series. And I can say without a doubt, I'm still not a fan.

Our shoulders bumped as we continued down main street. When the backs of our hands brushed against each other, Caleb scanned the area. He scooped my hands into his. His fingers slipped between mine as if that's where they were always meant to be. They were long and thin, kind of like the rest of him.

My head spun, but it was nice. My entire body went to war with itself. No matter how good it felt to have his hand in mine, a small knot rested in the pit of my stomach that I couldn't quite shake.

I leaned against his arm, keeping him close. He always smelled like coffee and pine trees. I relaxed with his body heat seeping in through my winter jacket. It sent butterflies through my chest making it hard to breathe.

He was all long limbs and angles, but it fit him. They weren't harsh like you'd think they would be.

We cut through the park in order to enter the apartment complex from the back side. When you thought about it, it was a faster path considering I lived in the back of the complex unlike Caleb who lived in the front.

Streetlamps lined the path between the thickets of trees and bushes. Someone could get lost for hours in a park like that if they didn't know their way around. It was rumored that time actually slowed down when you walked through the tall trees.

It was a dumb thing to believe in, yet I caught myself hoping it was even a little bit true. I wasn't quite ready to get home. Not when I had Caleb with me like I did.

Light snow filtered down through the branches, covering the path in a thin layer of white powder. One landed on my nose and I crossed my eyes to look, but it melted on contact. Winter was far from my favorite season with the chilling winds and festive lights; however, it was slowly working its way up the list with moments such as these.