chapter forty ✔️

januarie robinson- september 23, 2020 -

januarie robinson
- september 23, 2020 -

JOLENE WAS FAR FROM THE party animal of the Robinson family. We all waited for her to tell us she was joking when she decided to spend the evening of her twenty-eighth birthday at The Corner Bar. In my opinion, it was more of her freaking out about almost being thirty than anything else. Proving to herself and the rest of us that she could still keep up with the rest of us 'youngsters' even though we already knew that.

            Naturally, we had to have dinner at mom's first, but after everyone was already stuffed to the brim with Joshua's cooking, those of us who were old enough headed over to the bar. The first thing James did was buy a round of vodka shots. Because as the head manager of the place he knew, nothing gets you messed up faster than shots.

            After the first two rounds, I slid my glass over to Jacob next to me. In my defense, he was twice my size and more than willing to forget the things he had to deal with throughout his normal day.

            I slipped away from the rowdy group once they were two drinks and four shots deep. The Robinsons were extremely big on birthdays. Not only was it all of us, but most of Jolene's co-workers; big guys from Whitman Motors. Being one of the few introverts of the family, it was a little much to sit around a table full of extroverts trying to talk over one another.

            I slumped on a stool and breathed a sigh of relief to be away from all the ruckus, even if it was still across the room.

            Taylor walked up to the other side of the bar. He had this calm demeanor about him that seemed to put everyone around him at ease. This place wasn't always that chaotic, but then again, James was usually behind the bar and not in front of it.

            When he smiled, his lips sat lopsided on his face. Stubble covered his cheeks and jaw. It was hard to argue that he wasn't a handsome man, but being one of James' best friends, it was difficult to see him in any other way than just another older brother.

            "Hey, Red." He leaned against the bar and got close to me, "I don't know if you want it, but some guy walked in about ten minutes ago and just asked to buy your next drink. If you want me to chew his ass out and spit in his face, I can totally do that for ya."

            I instantly sat up, "Really? Who?"

            Taylor stood up and moved away from me, giving me a strange look. I could understand why he did, it was far from my normal response. The Corner Bar was one of the few places I never had to worry about any of that. James and Taylor intercepted most of that kind of thing. He gestured with his head to the back of the bar, past the pool tables at the dart board.

            In the back, throwing darts was Lucas. He had a beer on the table next to him and his phone sitting face up. I watched him throw a dart and then another. Both hitting the middle. I couldn't help but shake my head. Now he was just showing off.